Discuss smoke alarm wiring. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

How old were the detectors?
>10 years then they need to be replaced, replacements being mains rf units..
I don’t see how the using the cpc can be a C1 or C2?
The interconnection is only 9 volts.
I would code it as a C3
I am sure some detectors just switch 230v to the link wire when they are set off.

How old were the detectors?
>10 years then they need to be replaced, replacements being mains rf units..
I don’t see how the using the cpc can be a C1 or C2?
The interconnection is only 9 volts.
I would code it as a C3
Yes but doesnt the cable itself have to have a cpc

It is an interesting thing - if I have it correctly - each point in the circuit is to have an earth available (Richy’s 411.3.1.1 ) and if it’s ADS have a cpc run in “immediate proximity” to the lives ( Reg 543.6.1 ).
So to my understanding, Reg 132.16 tells me if they don’t want it fixed I should join @tony clark back in the van. Any tea Tony?

It is an interesting thing - if I have it correctly - each point in the circuit is to have an earth available (Richy’s 411.3.1.1 ) and if it’s ADS have a cpc run in “immediate proximity” to the lives ( Reg 543.6.1 ).
So to my understanding, Reg 132.16 tells me if they don’t want it fixed I should join @tony clark back in the van. Any tea Tony?

....and if neutrals are taken as ‘live’ then all those houses where a separate neutral without CPC has been run around the lights.....

How big is this van?

Cpc means circuit protective conductor, meaning the entire circuit, not just the outlet point.
Using the cpc for anything else is wrong.

You would have to label the same as old lighting circuits without cpc; class II only, no metal etc

For goodness sakes, use the T & E as a feed and tell the client that they need radio links, if they are not available for that model as they are 7 years old then replace them. At the end of the day you did not install them and use the CPC as the interconnecting link, even if it is extra low voltage on many of them, all you can do is give the client your knowledge to keep them safe, its up to them if they choose to use A N other to reuse the existing wiring

Reply to smoke alarm wiring. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock