Discuss Smoke Alarm? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

billy-w

Hi sorry if this is a stupid question,can someone just verify if it's ok to cut into a lighting circuit (live between 2 lights) to take the feed for a smoke alarm and be compliant?

Hi sorry if this is a stupid question,can someone just verify if it's ok to cut into a lighting circuit (live between 2 lights) to take the feed for a smoke alarm and be compliant?
We use this method quite often and is ok to do if you are only fitting one alarm. If you are fitting more you must either run 3 core t&e ore use radio bases. Don't forget to list the alarm and its location on the dis board under the relevant MCB.
Extra note for you: Radio bases are expensive to buy but in most cases the saving in labour cost,and damage to a finished property far outways this. I use them alot.
Hope i'm not teaching you to suck eggs with the rest.

Cheers Digster,live will go to heat alarm cut into d/s lighting and then 3 core and earth will go to 2 smoke alarms,Sound ok?

isnt it better to have smokes on their own supply? if lights trip then smokes arent mains powered? although i spose this is why they have battery back up

Yep, they can go on their own circuit, but the idea of using a lighting circuit is that (hopefully!!!) if the lights trip, the smokes will get back on as well.

Steve.

I can't help thinking, although more wire,it seems to me anyway,a lot neater to have smokes on there own circuit and join a lighting circuit at the MCB. That's why i'm wondering about joining between 2 lights is compliant,something just doesn't seem right with it.

If you put smokes on their own circuit and there is a fault on it the customer might not realize it , at least by putting them on a lighting circuit if there is a fault they are immediately aware of it because their lights go out! So you could argue that in many ways it is safer to put them on a lighting circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I often use the grade D system for smoke alarms (supplied by regularly used lighting circuit) and its been ok so far.

If its a rewire and access is ok throughout, then you can put in an rcbo and have the smokes on their own supply (grade E system).

Main thing to remember is to make sure that they are interconnecting, either by wiring or by radiolink.

If there was a fault, then the green LED on the smoke alarms switches off and the red LED (battery back up ) comes on.

I normally use AICO alarms, as I find them user and installation friendly.

Best regards,
Sav

Hi,

I often use the grade D system for smoke alarms (supplied by regularly used lighting circuit) and its been ok so far.

If its a rewire and access is ok throughout, then you can put in an rcbo and have the smokes on their own supply (grade E system).

Not being picky but your definitions of grade D and grade E systems are incorrect.

Grade E - a system of interlinked mains powered smoke and heat alarms with NO battery back up.

Grade D - a system of interlinked mains powered smoke and heat alarms with battery back up.

Sorry Sintra,
I should have made it more clear.
Its me, trying to show that I know something !!!!!!

Appologies again,
Sav

No need to appologise mate, it's just me being picky.

Reply to Smoke Alarm? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock