Discuss smoke alarms compulsary on a board change in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ExArmy

-
Reaction score
an electrician i know (who likes to talk alot) seems to think that it's a must to fit mains smoke alarms when the board is changed. I don't think this is true...?

thanks for clearing that up, my thoughts exactly.

next question, i'm rewiring a new extension and kitchen is being modified (has been knocked through into old diner) do i need to install A)a smoke detector in the extension, and B) a heat detector in the kitchen, C) both on a dedicated circuit and interlinked?

next question, i'm rewiring a new extension and kitchen is being modified (has been knocked through into old diner) do i need to install A)a smoke detector in the extension, and B) a heat detector in the kitchen, C) both on a dedicated circuit and interlinked?

Check with building control as they are the ones who will hold back the completion cert.

I recently installed 2 smokes - 1 in the hall and 1 on the landing at the direction of LABC. The extension was at the rear and they didn't ask for a heat alarm despite it being a kitchen/dining/conservatory!

Building Control will most likely want mains interlinked smoke alarms installed. As Murdoch said check with them, or the builder he should have a spec for the work on the extension and where the alarms are to go.

Also get the talkative electrician on this forum... if hes that confident in his knowledge it would be interesting to see him shot down and silenced a bit on here ;)

As Murdoch says, check the drawings/BC.

I don't recall anything in Part B about mandating heat alarms (I know they are advised) and smokes are only required usually in the communal escape areas (hall and landing normally). If they are required by plans/BC then they must be interlinked with any existing ones though.

well a house i finished recently, yes myself , i added a heat alarm in living room as the architet specified a smoke but if you read the small print footnotes, they will say follow bs5266 at current time

will check with BC in the morning. the builder has showm me some plans, it says smoke alarms must be fitted in accordance with regulation x or words to that effect but theres nothing on the drawings showing what they want.
also why does it say they have to be on their own circuit?? i was always taught to put on the lighting circuit so the tennants couldn't switch them off! makes sense to have them on the lighting circuit if you ask me, then if they are off you know they are off cos it's dark...
infact can someone explain why mains interlinked smoke alarms are better than battery smoke alarms?

Better to speak directly to LBC. Often the architect will spec what they like rather than what BC actually require.

- - - Updated - - -

Own circuit or regularly used lighting circuit both fine mate.

will check with BC in the morning. the builder has showm me some plans, it says smoke alarms must be fitted in accordance with regulation x or words to that effect but theres nothing on the drawings showing what they want.
also why does it say they have to be on their own circuit?? i was always taught to put on the lighting circuit so the tennants couldn't switch them off! makes sense to have them on the lighting circuit if you ask me, then if they are off you know they are off cos it's dark...
infact can someone explain why mains interlinked smoke alarms are better than battery smoke alarms?
Interlinking is simply so that all occupants are alerted, irrespective of where the fire/smoke/heat/CO is first detected. The AICO range has an add on that can tell you which device triggered the alert (in similar way to zoning on a panel does).

yeah i''ll agree with the interlinking, but can you not get battery interlinked smoke alarms?
and for my exstension tomorrow it does specify on the plans that they are to be installed on a dedicated circuit, but i am going to ask BC if it's ok to put on a lighting circuit.

Not that I'm aware of. Just pair them with the lighting for that area/room and use wireless interlink ones.

I can't see them allowing battery ones on an new extension, I agree with previous posts on the subject of them being on a commonly used lighting circuit so you know they are tripped, you will notice a light off, but if the dedicated circuit goes down on the smokes and your away for a few days the back up will be depleted and you may not know they are fubared, but then the regs do like as many circuits as poss on their own breaker..so I can see that point as well.
J

Reply to smoke alarms compulsary on a board change in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock