Discuss Smoke alarms-new build in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
I am new to the forum and fairly new to domestic work so need some help, I have been asked to wire a new build and need to know how to wire in the smoke alarms. I believe they have to be interlinked and on thier own circuit not rcd protected so as not to be effected by other circuits, so does that mean that all cables in the wall must be run in earthed metal conduit or is there any other way.(hope this makes sense)

You can wire them from a local regularly used lighting circuit. This is, I believe, the preferred method. If they are electrically interlinked, as opposed to radio interlinking, you must only use 1 lighting circuit to feed power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wire them on their own circuit using 3core and earth cable, one of the cores will be the interconnector which will link all alarms. Job done

from a frequenly used lighting circuit MCB , T/E to first smoke detector. 3 core/E to subsequent detectors. no problem.

Reply to Smoke alarms-new build in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock