Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Smoke Alarms Not Waking Kids Up (Which smoke alarms will wake a child?) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Admin
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Smoke Alarms Not Waking Kids Up (Which smoke alarms will wake a child??)

It seems that many high pitch smoke alarms wont wake up kids.

#WakeUpCall

They're trying out smoke alarms that use a human voice with a low pitch.

It's on WatchDog right now.

So does anybody have any experience with this?

Which smoke alarms will wake up kids?

520 hertz seems to be the standard which is a lower frequency. Low frequency sounders seem to be better than others.

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I have teenagers. No pitch, volume, or frequency is gonna rouse those. I just hope we don't have a fire on a Saturday morning, as those seem especially troublesome.

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
Smoke Alarms Not Waking Kids Up (Which smoke alarms will wake a child??)

It seems that many high pitch smoke alarms wont wake up kids.

#WakeUpCall

They're trying out smoke alarms that use a human voice with a low pitch.

It's on WatchDog right now.

So does anybody have any experience with this?

Which smoke alarms will wake up kids?

520 hertz seems to be the standard which is a lower frequency. Low frequency sounders seem to be better than others.
All I can add to this question is in the USA the requirements are smoke alarms in every bedroom and the hallway to the bedrooms and have to be hardwired with battery backup and interconnected that when one alarm goes off they all go off, and in the kitchen

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
The kids they were referring to in the programme were infants. But I for one wouldn’t want my kids jumping out of bed in a panic before I do.

ipf

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I have teenagers. No pitch, volume, or frequency is gonna rouse those. I just hope we don't have a fire on a Saturday morning, as those seem especially troublesome.
Could try a bucket of cold water contraption...….when the string burns through ??

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
The point they make on the programme was that there was no instruction to make users aware that young children may not hear the alarm, not that there should be different alarms for adults and children.
Now its been on Watchdog, we are now all aware.

Same programme, Those tree cutters need locked up for what they were doing.... poking around in the kitchen cupboards when the other one was conning the old dear for all she had.... :mad:

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
I have the nest smoke alarms and they are great. Voice alert then loud sounder.

static zap

-
Advent Win
Some growing people need their sleep , low level training with a reward ?
( I've always been a light sleeper )
..reversing bleepers = a nightmare.
Unresponsive teenagers -come fitted with Xbox headphones

Dan

Admin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Testing the best answered thread option now available. Will see how it rolls.

Sprinkler system :D that will do the job
Post automatically merged:

Testing the best answered thread option now available. Will see how it rolls.
what about a system that has those mosquito type noises that only young people can supposedly hear?

Last edited:
Sprinkler system :D that will do the job
Post automatically merged:

what about a system that has those mosquito type noises that only young people can supposedly hear?
Had instruction about this from my NICEIC inspector last year. The sound level should be checked in each room, preferably next to the bed with a sound meter and the alarm level should be at least 80db. A lot of domestic smoke alarms don't achieve this if there is a door in the way. You can get a sound meter app for your phone.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Had instruction about this from my NICEIC inspector last year. The sound level should be checked in each room, preferably next to the bed with a sound meter and the alarm level should be at least 80db. A lot of domestic smoke alarms don't achieve this if there is a door in the way. You can get a sound meter app for your phone.
agree with post, but should that not be 75dB. that's what Fire Officer specified on a L2 system that I installed earlier this year.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Smoke Alarms Not Waking Kids Up (Which smoke alarms will wake a child?) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom