Discuss Smoke Alarms Not Waking Kids Up (Which smoke alarms will wake a child?) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Supporter
Reaction score
Smoke Alarms Not Waking Kids Up (Which smoke alarms will wake a child??)

It seems that many high pitch smoke alarms wont wake up kids.

#WakeUpCall

They're trying out smoke alarms that use a human voice with a low pitch.

It's on WatchDog right now.

So does anybody have any experience with this?

Which smoke alarms will wake up kids?

520 hertz seems to be the standard which is a lower frequency. Low frequency sounders seem to be better than others.

Smoke Alarms Not Waking Kids Up (Which smoke alarms will wake a child??)

It seems that many high pitch smoke alarms wont wake up kids.

#WakeUpCall

They're trying out smoke alarms that use a human voice with a low pitch.

It's on WatchDog right now.

So does anybody have any experience with this?

Which smoke alarms will wake up kids?

520 hertz seems to be the standard which is a lower frequency. Low frequency sounders seem to be better than others.
All I can add to this question is in the USA the requirements are smoke alarms in every bedroom and the hallway to the bedrooms and have to be hardwired with battery backup and interconnected that when one alarm goes off they all go off, and in the kitchen

The point they make on the programme was that there was no instruction to make users aware that young children may not hear the alarm, not that there should be different alarms for adults and children.
Now its been on Watchdog, we are now all aware.

Same programme, Those tree cutters need locked up for what they were doing.... poking around in the kitchen cupboards when the other one was conning the old dear for all she had.... :mad:

I have the nest smoke alarms and they are great. Voice alert then loud sounder.

Sprinkler system :D that will do the job
[automerge]1568759455[/automerge]
Testing the best answered thread option now available. Will see how it rolls.
what about a system that has those mosquito type noises that only young people can supposedly hear?

Last edited:

what about a system that has those mosquito type noises that only young people can supposedly hear?
Had instruction about this from my NICEIC inspector last year. The sound level should be checked in each room, preferably next to the bed with a sound meter and the alarm level should be at least 80db. A lot of domestic smoke alarms don't achieve this if there is a door in the way. You can get a sound meter app for your phone.

Had instruction about this from my NICEIC inspector last year. The sound level should be checked in each room, preferably next to the bed with a sound meter and the alarm level should be at least 80db. A lot of domestic smoke alarms don't achieve this if there is a door in the way. You can get a sound meter app for your phone.
agree with post, but should that not be 75dB. that's what Fire Officer specified on a L2 system that I installed earlier this year.

The mosquito buzzing noise is to deter teenagers from congregating outside the local spar shop.

The smoke alarms were too high a pitch for very small children to hear.
The spokesman from the industry on the programme did say that they had been aware of the problem and have changed the pitch some years ago now.

The mosquito buzzing noise is to deter teenagers from congregating outside the local spar shop.

The smoke alarms were too high a pitch for very small children to hear.
The spokesman from the industry on the programme did say that they had been aware of the problem and have changed the pitch some years ago now.
I reckon a sprinkler system would work better :D

I'm sure noisy events like this , can be the kind of nightmare
that wakes you with Heart palpitations / or a panic attack ..
Full Adrenalin rush ... a few days later.
--Stick with adults chaperoning / carrying sleepy children--
Rather than them ,organizing rescue of Pets / Xboxes & leaving their parents !
( You should be there for your kids .. Not trusting tech )

Had a job in student accommodation where we were using sds drills in the same room and they didn’t stir, don’t think any audible system would wake them!

Reply to Smoke Alarms Not Waking Kids Up (Which smoke alarms will wake a child?) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock