Discuss smoke alarms using existing wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bijly

Hello,

I'm getting a loft conversion done and there is a requirement for mains-powered smoke detectors in all rooms. the electrician is part p and will be installing new small cu.

The new smoke detectors will be using existing wiring which is using old type wire fuse box ( i've replaced some for the fuse switches ). so my understanding is they will use existing wiring off the lights and so my question is will this be ok for the regulation/ part p or am i looking at more work required?

thanks in advance for your responses.

Hi mate.

This may come across as not very helpful to you but:
Why didn't you ask the electrician the best way to wire the detectors? He would have seen your existing wiring and be in a better position to give advice on it.
What does the manual for the detector say about installing them?

i've not met the electrician yet , the company will be doing all the work. i'm just trying to foresee any surprises and shocks such as you need a totally new rcd cu or you need to re-wire the house.

is there a requirement for smoke detectors in a room where one exists already?( battery powered one)

i've not met the electrician yet , the company will be doing all the work. i'm just trying to foresee any surprises and shocks such as you need a totally new rcd cu or you need to re-wire the house.

is there a requirement for smoke detectors in a room where one exists already?( battery powered one)

Installation of smoke alarms is not covered by BS7671 and the need for them will be decided by the planning control officer.

IMHO he will mandate one in the converted loft and probably one more on the landing below and the hall. You need to talk to the planning control officer. How then they are wired is a discussion between you, the builder and the spark. This is something you NEED to do and will cost - but any cost is small considering the devastation a fire could bring.

thanks.
there will be smoke detector in every room radio interlinked. all work is done using part p certified electrician

no. they can be wired from the lighting circuit. as you are going to fit radio linked ones, there's then no need to link them physiacally with 3 core/E

Reply to smoke alarms using existing wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net