Discuss Smoke detectors and Scotland (again!) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Lots of threads already about the new legislation, and February ain’t far away… so I’d just like to post a few queries for discussion.

Not that I’ve come across anything myself. Customers are usually happy with the bare minimum, but just things I’ve heard.

Smoke detector fitted in attic where there is PV inverter. … heard of this a couple of times. Houses being council or housing association properties. Should there be one near consumer units if not already covered by one in a hallway etc?

Carbon monoxide detector for an oil boiler that is outside? Must depend if fumes can enter the building via open window I think? Ie… detector inside above the window.

Smoke detector fitted in attic where there is PV inverter. … heard of this a couple of times. Houses being council or housing association properties. Should there be one near consumer units if not already covered by one in a hallway etc?
You could argue for that if is it a plastic unit and/or in some location where it could rapidly make escape difficult. Though typically that is a hallway and so would be covered already.
Carbon monoxide detector for an oil boiler that is outside? Must depend if fumes can enter the building via open window I think? Ie… detector inside above the window.
There might be regulations on safe distance from chimney/exhaust to window and if marginal that could make sense. Though you could also argue for that in a garage attached to a building in case car left running, etc.

Just some random thoughts as I don't know the fire regs, etc.

Lots of threads already about the new legislation, and February ain’t far away… so I’d just like to post a few queries for discussion.

Not that I’ve come across anything myself. Customers are usually happy with the bare minimum, but just things I’ve heard.

Reply to Smoke detectors and Scotland (again!) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net