Discuss smoke detectors circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TEFFSAY

should smoke detector be installed on there own circuit or on with a commonly used lightin circuit? if wires are conceald in a wall less than 50mm rcd protection required? if installing into a re-ferb project is a heat detector required in the kitchen or is it optional? many thanks

IMO, on a commonly used light cct. as then you know if the powere to them has failed. rcd for ,50mm yes. i would use heat detector in kitchen as with a smoke type, it would activate every time you burnt the toast. even a bacon fry-up will do it.

I always install them on an indipendant circuit then if a lighting circuit trips the smokes are still active ,protected by an RCBO or MCB depending on the installation methods

Either method is acceptable.

Buried in a wall without any form of earthed metallic protection will need additional RCD protection.

I always install them on an indipendant circuit then if a lighting circuit trips the smokes are still active ,protected by an RCBO or MCB depending on the installation methods
that's good only if the detectors have a mains fail indication IMO, that is.

Either method is acceptable.

Buried in a wall without any form of earthed metallic protection will need additional RCD protection.

Hence the reason i noted both mcb and rcbo depending on installation method , and yes tel i agree thats why i use the one's with an idicator and bleep like hell when the powers off , dont have a problem with them on lighting circuits just like them seperate im a right fuss pot lol

should smoke detector be installed on there own circuit or on with a commonly used lightin circuit? either is acceptable if wires are conceald in a wall less than 50mm rcd protection required? Yes. BS7671 is quite clear on this matter if installing into a re-ferb project is a heat detector required in the kitchen or is it optional? the minimum new build requirement is smokes in escape routes and heat in kitchen. On a refurb this should also be your minimum standard. If BC are involved they would probably insist. many thanks

Not trying to be facecious, but as a spark you really should know this!

And on the last point: why would you want it to be optional? Is burning to death so much more preferable to a heat alarm?

How many more children have to die in fires before people get the message on alarm systems?
BBC News - Two children killed in Bristol house fire

Just to start a Sunday morning question, if you fitted a system to a local lighting circuit would you fell obliged to conform to this recommendation(see link) or rely on removal of the head as isolation

Meeting the Standard with a Fire Alarm Isolation Switch - Discount Fire Supplies

Where Bill for this

This type of switch would be for commercial installations where you have a conventional or addressable system , the switch is installed so that the supply can be isolated locally and normally for testing of the batteries and obviously maitainance i would never install a conventional fire alarm system to a lighting circuit , but in the domestic situation yes ,where they are domestic smoke detectors

As For PC's comments on smokes i 100 % agree ,and We should install smoke detection as we do bonding , knowing 2 children 11 and 8 who died with there mother in a house fire ,it realy brings it home , here in north wales the fire service do fit smoke detectors free of charge and when i visit a home where they have families or elderly persons if they dont have smoke detection i advise them to get it installed when work is carried out , if they cant afford it with thier permission i give the details to the fire service so they can get them installed free , it takes very little time and doing it could save some ones life just wish id done felix and alex's house !!!!

Reply to smoke detectors circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net