Discuss smoke detectors,compulsory? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

rented accomodation,changing db,always install smokes,heats,landlord says smokes etc,are just good practice!help doing or not doing sat

Check with the local authority as can't remember the date but rented accommadation has to be registered or something the like with them so it maybe that a fire panel or similar needs to be fitted.

Last edited:
Smoke detectors are now a requirement in rented accomodation under the landlord's "duty of care" responsibilities. Similar to the requirement for communal areas in blocks of privately owned flats (leasehold) where there is a service charge paid for the maintaining of communal areas, services etc.

Yes, but the duty of care is not law.

However, if there was a fire and fatalities or injuries then the landlord could get prosecuted.

Its his choice at the end of the day!

thanks everyone,fitting db tomorrow,**** his tenants,i dont care if they die of smoke inhallation
yeah fitted db,did periodic too,nob err client told me he 'ed done some of the wiring himself,'what the botched wiring i enquired'
'what' he said
yeah,the switches with the earth cut off,the earths without sleeving,the earths with red tape round em,the cooker switch with no earth,the shower with burnt cables
its failed, i said,you will haveto pay me to make these alterations,repairs,i said(did two hours reconnecting earths,earthing class1 fittings, sleeving etc
'well things are tight he said'his missus is a solicitor for the council
spouting part p re smokes,
first foray into domestic,im commercial
****ING KEEP IT LADS ITS ALL YOURS
and theres a periodic and repairs available too

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks everyone,fitting db tomorrow,**** his tenants,i dont care if they die of smoke inhallation

i agree its not your problem if hes not paying for them then thats it ,if somone dies its his problem not yours ,also im sure that 5 pound smokes from BnQ satisfy the legalaties,maybee he will give you a pint for screwing them on the ceiling ,no maybee just a half ,hes obviously a tight b@stard:eek:

Part B of Building Regs requires all new and refurbished dwelling houses to be fitted with suitable fire detection and alarm system.

It's amazing what landlords try to get out of. I was called to a fault in the lighting in a rented property recently. The landlord had bought his house off the council and was letting it back to them via an agency. To cut a long story short, I would have failed it on a periodic for several reasons and would have recommended a rewire as it was that bad. The tennant had only just moved in, and I asked if there was a change of occupancy inspection done. Apparently not - the letting agency seemed to think it was not mandatory to do this, and the owner didn't want to spend any money so it wasn't going to happen - let alone put right the faults.

Landlords are difficult to deal with sometimes, and I guess that the chances are that nothing bad is going to happen if they save a few quid by non compliance. All you can do is put it in writing somewhere that you have recommended fitting the alarms to be in compliance with part B (or whatever) to cover yourself. I don't know what happened about the council house re-let, but we did notify the council of the situation, and I can't imagine that they would do anything other than follow it up as they might be liable. I think the guy might find letting the property to clients with money impossible, as nobody in their right mind would live there. Therefore, he is reliant on council / housing association for lettings and they do have standards in place. Hope he's lost their business, or had to comply.

I agree 100% with greeislandlover. Put your recommendations in writing and keep a copy. Cover yourself. If the landlord does not care about his tenants he won't give a chuff about you if, God forbid, something goes horribly wrong in the future.

As I have said previously check with the local authority with regards to any smoke alarms as if he is not registered with council it was announced the is a fine upto £20,000 for not registering so watch out if he is not and is caught he may try to drag you down with himself.

The local authority have nothing to do with the regs.

As stated in the regs and previously, it is only new, refurbished or extended properties that require smoke detectors.

However, i think that local authority housing normally put them in.

By all means mark it on the cert (there is a box on the NICEIC certs for this) to cover yourself but its really nothing to worry about. You have done all that is required.

The local authority have nothing to do with the regs.

As stated in the regs and previously, it is only new, refurbished or extended properties that require smoke detectors.

However, i think that local authority housing normally put them in.

By all means mark it on the cert (there is a box on the NICEIC certs for this) to cover yourself but its really nothing to worry about. You have done all that is required.

Not talking about local authority dealing with regs but with the fact that any property which is to be rented by a landlord has to be regiistered with the local council to make sure that it is of a correct standard for renting and not a death trap:rolleyes:

any property which is to be rented by a landlord has to be regiistered with the local council to make sure that it is of a correct standard for renting and not a death trap:rolleyes:

Not doubting you at all, but, thats the first ive heard of that.

I have been renting from a private landlord for over ten years and not once has an electrician been in to do an inspection.

Not that there is anything substandard as the house is only ten years old.

Oh, and of course, i live here.:D

Not doubting you at all, but, thats the first ive heard of that.

I have been renting from a private landlord for over ten years and not once has an electrician been in to do an inspection.

Not that there is anything substandard as the house is only ten years old.

Oh, and of course, i live here.:D

A couple of years ago the was a campaign on the radio and tele stating that landlords had by a certain to register with local authority by a certain date if not they could receive a fine of upto £20,000.

A couple of years ago the was a campaign on the radio and tele stating that landlords had by a certain to register with local authority by a certain date if not they could receive a fine of upto £20,000.

Cripes.

i better give them a nudge then coz i dont want my rent going up to pay his fine!:D

Cripes.

i better give them a nudge then coz i dont want my rent going up to pay his fine!:D

Another one as of today landlords have to have an energy rating survey carried out on properties and must be shown to people renting their property. Not to sure if this is all or just to new renters of property.

i know its a bit late but smoke detectors are compulsory and they have to be mains operated with battery back up... and they have to interlink with each other, one goes off they all go off

Reply to smoke detectors,compulsory? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock