Discuss smoke detectors on lighting circuit. -Switched? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
I've been reading forum posts on domestic smoke alarms and also the Approved Doc B and the regs. I'm still confused one one or two points.
..So it seems it IS OK to run them off a existing RCD. This seems to be the most common way nowadays to do it - with it's own circuit/MCB.

But Approved doc B 1.19 says that detectors can also be powered from a lighting cct.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADB1_2006.pdf

smoke detectors on lighting circuit. -Switched? 11-01-2012 10-53-25 - EletriciansForums.net

But then Doc B also says it should have independent means of isolating the power. How could this be so if it's off a lighting circuit? Does this imply it should have a lighting switch so Mrs Smith can just turn it off? - Seems a bit dim to me. Do people really put in an on/off switch?if they power it from the lighting circuit?

Attachments

• smoke detectors on lighting circuit. -Switched? 11-01-2012 10-53-25 - EletriciansForums.net
    11-01-2012 10-53-25.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 37
The key word is not switch but "isolating".

It is generally accepted that by the action of removing the head from the base your disconnecting the power, which you are has the power is left at the base not the head anymore, from the lighting circuit.

Also a lot of guys come off the lighting circuit at the CU, especially if there are no spare ways available, into a key switch sited next to the CU and then on into the smokes. that way they definitely comply, and if you use solid smokes that can not be detached from a base.

i wouldnt say it comes down to switch and back up but you could maybe have a fussed connection unit somewhere....

i have a house in sight for upgrading soon(yes im some sales man lol) and the smokes arnt a ment to be on rcd so does mean i require a 3 way split board with 2 rcd sides ....

b

Hi Malcom,

I like your interpretation. On that basis it's OK to just fit the detectors into the lighting radial (RCD protected), -provided it lies in the right place of course. And isolation would be via removing the detector block connector in the ceiling.

Anyone fitting a new circuit/MCB for the detectors is possibly doing more than strictly necessary.

Perhaps I just read too much into it then.

Rgds

Agree with Malcom. Aico are isolated by just pulling off the base. I checked a while back with their tech dept and they said that was correct and was designed for isolation to meet regs.

I have put on seperate circuit and lighting circuit - both meet regs. I prefer lighting so that the end user cant just switch off if there is a problem and subsequently forget them

Thanks.. And after more Google fumblings.

..My understanding now is lighting circuit + RCD is OK, provided it's not taken from a side of CU which also protects sockets circuits.
If sockets are split to both CU sides, then separate RCBo is required for smoke detectors.
?

Thanks.. And after more Google fumblings.

..My understanding now is lighting circuit + RCD is OK, provided it's not taken from a side of CU which also protects sockets circuits.
If sockets are split to both CU sides, then separate RCBo is required for smoke detectors.
?
Interesting - what regulation covers that?

i was on the EI website recently and they state that the rf link is more reliable than the wired link-i never looked at it that way myself previously

if they're on a lighting mcb i always run a separate radial for alarms(for wired interconnect) and bunch them with the lights at mcb

Reply to smoke detectors on lighting circuit. -Switched? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock