Discuss Smoke, Heat and Carbon Monoxide Alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on domestic alarms as title. Any good brands that are out there that provide all three that can be wired in together. Also what’s the the difference between optical and ionisation and is one better/more effective than the other?

Aico all day for me. If you mix fire and CO on the same interlink, you should also include a test and locate switch.

The CO detectors have a feature called Audiolink that allows you to download a report from the detector using an app on your phone which you can email to the client, useful for checking if something might be going wrong that isn't a full alarm condition.

They've always been helpful on the phone and do offer free training when their training wagon is in your area.

The RadioLink modules are also very good, and whilst they might seem expensive, in some situations they will work out cheaper than running the interlink cable.

I haven't seen an alarm that combines heat, smoke and CO detection. I've seen dual ones like heat & smoke, CO and smoke etc. Not sure where you'd need to use one.

Aico is the make I always use.

FYI
Optical smoke alarms are less prone to false alarms than ionisation and slightly quicker at detecting slow smouldering fires that tend to produce a lot of smoke. The optical sensing chamber effectively "sees" when smoke is present, as the large particles block and cause an infrared light to scatter.

Aico for me also, although kinda interested in Nest stuff.

They Radiolink stuff is expensive, so I just used the wired ones.

Think @FatAlan was on about all three types on wired circuit, which you can. Recommend their alarm control switch, whether you go link or hard wire.

Edit; whenever I got stuck, on Building regs for alarms or tech etc stuff, their tech department were very accommodating & helpful.

Aico, every time. Radio links, not cheap...but so much faster to install, and less messy.
Now about to become legal in rented properties in Scotland, so no hard-wiring any more...HURRAH!

Nest - you can even link Phillips Hue lights to them and all lights turn red in alarm. Great for homes with people hard of hearing.

Think they are more expensive than Aico?

Without doubt soon your toilet will be able to communicate with your car. Something unheard decades ago, with an outdoor carsey & a Morris Minor.

Once upon a time I got my electricity from the Electricty Board...
my gas from the Gas Board...
my telephone from the GPO...

now, I get my gas and electricity and phone from Burger King, or someone...

..t soon your toilet will be able to communicate with your car. Something unheard decades ago, with an outdoor carsey & a Morris Minor.

Had them for years in Japan, how do we get by without knowing how much power and water the toilet seat is using? Seriously though, it could be a lifesaver driving back from a curry and being able to lift the seat from the car on the way home :D

Once upon a time I got my electricity from the Electricty Board...
my gas from the Gas Board...
my telephone from the GPO...

now, I get my gas and electricity and phone from Burger King, or someone...

Ahhh,that explains why i keep getting gherkins,ringing up about smart meters...
That bl@@dy Maxine Peake better not cross my path,if i have custard pies to hand...

Aico recommended, but frankly they are scarey expensive now for some folks.

Trouble is with regulation changes and covering ones backside it costs. The new 3000 series is good kit with lots of built in and developing features downside is it is a bit more expensive than the old kit

Aico are doing a number of roadshow events highlighting regs changes and product changes over the next month or so take a look at Events Archive - Aico - https://www.aico.co.uk/events/ well worth a visit

Reply to Smoke, Heat and Carbon Monoxide Alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net