Discuss smoke - heat - carbon alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I will be installing several smoke - heat and carbon monoxide detectors shortly as per spec. I've not done carbon monoxide detectors before. I take it, electrically wiring them is the same as smoke and heat detectors. They will be wired and interconnected on one circuit and protected by a RCBO. Any good makes out there that cover all 3 requirements and look neat? Thanks

As Trev said, AICO is the what you want to fit.

Thanks Trev and Dillb............Just had a quick look, will look later though when at home. With this manufacture, bearing in mind its a domestic installation, is a panel necessary? Or did i look in wrong place? I had visions of just wiring 1mm 6242Y to first sensor then 1mm 6243Y to the remainder. About 8 sensors required.

You don't need a panel, I put a load in an HMO a few months back, one on every landing one in each habitable room, heat detector in kitchen and a co where the boiler was. All interlinked, fed as one circuit (I know but LABC wanted it that way) No panel

Have a look on playstore for aico app called handyfacts. Will tell you all you need to know. I also install a test switch at mains position for easier testing and hushing of system.

Ah yes, this has been discussed before on another thread. Your thinking on with a light circuit? Has it's merits re lights off, customer will deal with it therefore restoring power to smokes etc.

I've stopped putting smokes on a seperate circuit.

Have you called your scheme and asked them?

If the domestic dwelling is only 2 levels (ie ground and first floor) then Aico is fine, as a grade D system....If dwelling is over 3 floors, then full system is required with panel, as a Grade A.
Circuits on Grade D can be on own circuit or from lighting, the choice is yours. Both methods of circuit installation are accepted under BS

If the domestic dwelling is only 2 levels (ie ground and first floor) then Aico is fine, as a grade D system....If dwelling is over 3 floors, then full system is required with panel, as a Grade A.
Circuits on Grade D can be on own circuit or from lighting, the choice is yours. Both methods of circuit installation are accepted under BS

Is that British Standard or Bull S..... lol

Out of interest Tazz, what do you do? Seperate circuit or off lights?

Its BS5839 part 6 Clive, as long as the system has battery back up, and is Grade D, then both methods are acceptable. Any less the Grade D, ie mains only smokes, then must be on own circuit.
Most added detection, I take off lighting, all new builds, own circuit, with lock off on mcb...this is usually stated in specifications for the project.

Its BS5839 part 6 Clive, as long as the system has battery back up, and is Grade D, then both methods are acceptable. Any less the Grade D, ie mains only smokes, then must be on own circuit.
Most added detection, I take off lighting, all new builds, own circuit, with lock off on mcb...this is usually stated in specifications for the project.

I was joking!

Is that British Standard or Bull S..... lol

Out of interest Tazz, what do you do? Seperate circuit or off lights?

Re on separate circuit....if carry out a global IR test, easy to knock off smoke circuit before carrying out IR test thus eliminating damaging smokes. Electrician might not know that smokes are even there and on lights. I know we should all ways look for sensitive equipment...but accidents happen. Was there a rule a bit back that they had to go on separate circuits, then relented?

Always been that standard on part 6...you can argue, there would be led drivers, led lamps etc, on the lighting circuit, as well as tv`s, computers etc on the ring main circuit. Down to you to check before conducting test.

Either way you just unclip the smokes etc from their bases before testing, it's not like you can't easily see where they are is it. They don't get buried behind ridiculous furniture like sockets and sw/fuses do

I'm sure I read on the aico mi that co2 detectors can only be interlinked with smokes if a locator switch is fitted. Could be wrong though?
Its a CO detector, and comes under a different BS standard 50292......In domestic dwellings, it easier to wired into the smoke detection circuit, as what better, than having 3 or more sounders for early warning...there is no rule to say a locator or indicator should be fitted, but again it does make sense to show weather its a fire or CO contamination.

Reply to smoke - heat - carbon alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net