Discuss Smoking consumer unit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Flybywyre

I had a new consumer unit fitted in my flat 13 months ago.
On Saturday as I was about to go out I thought I could smell smoke, thought it must be something outside and left the flat. I only got as far as the end of my path when I decided to go back and check, as I could not smell smoke outside. When I opened the front door not only could I definitely smell some I could see smoke in the air. I opened a walk in type wardrobe where the electrics are situated and could see white smoke coming from the consumer unit.
The area on the unit where the smoke was coming from was labelled "Spare. Cooker. Immersion. Sockets kitchen" I think it was the Immersion that had tripped, which was the only thing on, yet smoke was still coming from it. The RCD for that bank had not tripped. The only way I could stop the smoke was to turn the master switch off. Presumably if I had not have gone back in this would have ignited and burnt the place down?
I also pressume that consumer units going up in smoke like this is very rare.
Two questions please.
Firstly How could this happen ? I thought that the idea of the individual trips and the bank RCD were there to specifically to stop this sort of thing happening.
Secondly can I expect the consumer unit to be replaced free of charge?
The electrician who installed it is coming tomorrow to replace it.
Thanks in anticipation of any replies,
FBW

is it a wylex? they had a fauly batch of breakers. also affected some other makes of board. if it's one of the suspect breakers, your electrician will be paid by the manufacturer to replace it/them. hopefully, there is no major damage caused.

Just checked and yes it is!
No major damage just minor smoke damage really, mainly the smell all over my clothes and in the wardrobe (where the units are)
Thanks for your reply
FBW

when your electrician comes and takes the lid off, you'll probably see it's 1 of the breakers burnt at the top side. ask him if he's aware of the recall by electrium ( they make the breakers for wylex. ) if he doesn't, tell him to google electrium. they will give him the necessary paperwork , including serial numbers which must be replaced. however, without seeing the job, it could be something else.

Just checked and yes it is!
No major damage just minor smoke damage really, mainly the smell all over my clothes and in the wardrobe (where the units are)
Thanks for your reply
FBW

When your electrician removes the cover of the consumer unit, just take a couple of pictures for your own records-it's important to have an accurate record of the damage before any remedial works are attempted.

You can also post them up here if you wish, I'd like to see them.

This can be caused by a slack connection inside the fuseboard especialy a circuit with load ie cooker shower immersion see pic attached this was a slack shower circuit detail of damage 2.jpg

This can be caused by a slack connection inside the fuseboard especialy a circuit with load ie cooker shower immersion see pic attached this was a slack shower circuit View attachment 4906

It doesn't seem fair on the installer to start talking about loose connections etc. before anyone has seen the inside of the consumer unit.

in fact, i would recommend carefully ( with main switch turned off ) remove cover and take photos before the electrician arrives. but only do this if you feel confident in doing so. and don't disturb any wiring inside.

It doesn't seem fair on the installer to start talking about loose connections etc. before anyone has seen the inside of the consumer unit.

Fair or not the first thing that hits you when you take a new consumer unit out of the box is the warning notice to ensure all screw connections are tight as they may slacken off in transit I am not preaching IQ but it is good practice to check all connections on the CU

Fair or not the first thing that hits you when you take a new consumer unit out of the box is the warning notice to ensure all screw connections are tight as they may slacken off in transit I am not preaching IQ but it is good practice to check all connections on the CU

Absolutely it is and I agree, there's normally a 'disclaimer' sticker.

The electician said he had not seen anything like it before.
This particular model was not included in last years recall, perhaps it should be recalled now?
Here are the offending items:
107.jpg 096.jpg 094.jpg

The electician said he had not seen anything like it before.
This particular model was not included in last years recall, perhaps it should be recalled now?
Here are the offending items:
View attachment 4910 View attachment 4911 View attachment 4912

Wow, were they consecutive breakers in a line or randomly positioned?

It looks like a manufacturers fault from the pictures but I've never seen that happen on 3 devices!

Well, I said innocent until proven guilty!

The more worrying point is who made them can you give us the manufacturer and rating of the breakers affected please

I have just enlarged one of the pics it is a wylex so the next question is how long have they been in for because as we know there was a product recall on their 6 amp breakers last year

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Smoking consumer unit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net