Discuss Snapped Live Wire when changing sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stevetwigs

Hi All, when changing a socket front, the red live wire snapped (old twin 2.5mm and earth)looks like there was a nick in the insulation so I have lost about 30mm of the end of the wire and now the live wont stretch to the live terminal on the socket front.
Is there a way of extending the red wire? Is crimping a possibility? I would ideally just replace the whole length of wire but its plastered into the wall and I have just decorated with the sockets being the last job on the list. Want to find a sensible and legal solution to the problem hope someone can help.

Thanks

Use an appropriaty sized insulated through crimp. I think for 2.5 there blue. Failing that use a insulated connector block.

1.insulated crimp using the correct ratchet tool. 2. a 2 wire wago. 3. a single terminal block ( screw type, as it's accessible ). the only thing to worry about is that you make a good connection/joint.

I would just extend it with a peice of same size, same colour wire using an insulated ferrule put on with the proper crimpers.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like crimping is the way forward. Have got a crimping tool just a cheap one you find in car accessories place. Will this work or shall I invest in the better rachet type?

cheap car accesssory shop crimpers belong in the bin. why not invest 10p in a wago.?

Two "port" wago for me (no danger of mechanical stress on what's left of the existing cable)....It's accessible so wago's are fine to use. I'd probably use a lever one, not push fit as well.

Last edited:
I have never used wagos on the ring main as they are rated to 24 amps (I Think)

That said I think most sockets MK (excluded) are only rated to 20Amps,

However if we use a junction box it must be rated to 32 Amps.

Am I being to fussy and a 24A wago would be fine on the ring???

Reply to Snapped Live Wire when changing sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net