Discuss So I may be buying a house with P.V. installed.... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The Ghost

It looks suspiciously like I am buying a house soon. It has a 2kw PV array and sunny boy inverter install about four years ago. I know little about PV from an installation viewpoint and even less as a potential end user. Anyone know any crash courses for dummies in PV? For instance the vendor states he gets about £600 per year from it. Sounds like magic to me I thought FIT was totalled a couple of years ago???
And anyway how about maintaining it and so on. Can I increase to 4kw? and so on. And there are probably questions I should be asking but don't know enough to ask them. Of course I understand the basic principles of panels and the different kinds and safe isolation of a dual supply and the basic stuff along with how a rectifier works etc. But end user stuff, well haven't got a clue. Just sit back and let the money roll in?

Must admit if I purchased a house with pv panels spoiling the roof I would ditch the lot, they look terrible. £2 a per day is hardly raking the money in.

I know a few years back there was whispering of these panels being a hazard for the fire services whereby their weight could aid structural collapse but it seemed to fade away.

Just wait until them tesla roof tiles go big time in the uk, you dont even realise the roof is covered in pv kit.
I thought the feed in tariffs changed for new installs and that current ones still had slightly better rates? i might be wrong though.
The City & Guilds course has stopped and is in the process of being re-written but was offered by DCET just up round from you by the M5
Renewables | Photovoltaic Systems | DCET Training - http://www.dcet.co.uk/renewables/newcityguilds2399photovoltaicsystems.ashx
There is another option by bpec and is offered by quite a few outfits around the country,
Solar Photovoltaic (Solar PV) Installer (SPV) in Renewable Energy, Water & Gas | PPL Training - https://www.ppltraining.co.uk/training-course/renewable-energy-water-and-gas/renewable-energy-installation-and-maintenance/solar-photovoltaic-solar-pv-installer-bpec-accredited
they are on my list after fire alarm systems courses.

Hi bud,what provision or description,is there in the agent's sales pack? If the arrangement is made with an individual,it will have to be transferred.

You don't want to have him sat earning that 600 squid,with you not being able to change things...:eek:

Having done at least 20 exams in the past few years I am getting a bit jaded at the moment. Considering in theory I am ready for the glue factory do I want to do another course just to gen up on PV....but....I may.

good thing is that £600 quid will pay for the course so he knows how to work out what its doing and fix it! have wondered in all this sun of late if you angled a mirror at the panels would the generation increase significantly?

Now that is just the kind of **** kicking scary stuff I want to hear. Damn I am going to check that one out.
also worth checking things with the solicitor as you may find some outfit owns the roof for x number of years and you in effect rent it! as a lot of people put the panels up for next to nothing, in exchange they sold the roof rights and part of the money from the feed in went to the company.

...Add to the above,the fact that the photovoltaic charlatans may have glued them on with shrew-spit and gone bust eight times...marvellous:)

I thought the feed in tariffs changed for new installs and that current ones still had slightly better rates? i might be wrong though.
Yes there is the thought I had, what is the state of FIT then and now. That is the kind of thing an end user would want to know (me) rather than how to install it.

I've had PV in for about 8 years and still getting average £300 a quarter. I've got 16 panels though, giving 4kW.

The 'who owns the roof' debate will be down to what's written in the sales bumpf… Ask the question. Even if you don't get a good FIT, you'll still pay less for electricity as you'll be using the free stuff during the day.

Have they added value to the house price?
Just interested if we ever sell our house, would it be worth more than next door?

also worth checking things with the solicitor as you may find some outfit owns the roof for x number of years and you in effect rent it! as a lot of people put the panels up for next to nothing, in exchange they sold the roof rights and part of the money from the feed in went to the company.

If he's getting the £600, then he owns the panels-the rentaroof brigade only got to use the free electricity as far as I am aware.
I think that you contact the FITS provider who will be one of the big energy providers and simply change the account details with them

wont be 600

about £70 in summer and £30-40 average every quarter

If he has had the panels for several years then its very likely that they are producing £600 pa.
I have had 3.84Kw fitted for nearly 6 years and they give back about 2k per year. the last 3 month up to July 10th produced £829

Reply to So I may be buying a house with P.V. installed.... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock