Discuss So, What can I actually do now? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently training thru a company called tradestech, not very impressed so far, I was told that within 6 months I'd be able to complete minor works on my own, 2 years to be fully domestic qualified, and fullly qualified Domestic + Commercial in 3 years. So far its taken 18 months, including a 5 month wait after completing online resources to get into a centre for the first time.

I've completed all exams in first year, and have been told by tutors in centre that I can now carry out and certify anything covered by a minor works certificate, and that I am now classed as an 'Improver' I was also told this at the strt of the course by the person doing the on boarding.

My question is, can I actually??

I have passed:

City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification - 2392

Level 3 Certificate in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings - 2393

Level 3 Award in the Requirements for Electrical Installations BS 7671:2018 - 2382

Plus one more I dont have in front of me right now...

Does anyone know if this really does mean I can start work? I've got a fair bit of experience as a electricians mate of sorts too, so I'm fairly confident that i'm safe, I just doubt others would be safe with only these quals and no experience!!

Thanks in advance

Milo

You can realistically do whatever you want and start work whenever you want, but if it came to a court case and you have to prove competency your minor works will ONLY cover you for an alteration to an existing circuit, such as adding a socket to an existing circuit. You’ll need to complete your level 3 and am2 to achieve what is commonly recognised as competency.

The stumbling block is the requirement to notify certain work. In England*, notification is needed for:
New or replacement consumer unit
The provision of a new circuit
Electrical work inside bathroom zones

To be able to self-notify works you would first need to join one of the competent person schemes (NICEIC, NAPIT, etc). To join you will need NVQ Level 3, full insurances, as well as (you should already have this) a set of calibrated test equipment.

*Different rules apply in the other colonies such as Wales and Scotland.

The stumbling block is the requirement to notify certain work. In England*, notification is needed for:
New or replacement consumer unit
The provision of a new circuit
Electrical work inside bathroom zones

To be able to self-notify works you would first need to join one of the competent person schemes (NICEIC, NAPIT, etc). To join you will need NVQ Level 3, full insurances, as well as (you should already have this) a set of calibrated test equipment.

*Different rules apply in the other colonies such as Wales and Scotland.
Hi, thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I'm aware that I cant do notifiable work, but was told I can do any work covered by a minor works, so as you say additions/alterations to existing circuits but ''nothing where i need to touch the consumer unit'' is how it was sold to me, and obviously any other notifiable work.

I understand whats covered by a minor works cert, I just dont trust the company teaching me as they've lied multiple times already, and whilst they're very happy to tell me i can go work face to face, they seem strangely reluctant to put it in writing!

Theres plenty of little jobs floating around on FB and other places, I just want to start working now

Also, any flexible work in north shropshire going hit me up, eager to learn!!

Thanks

the key word is competent. don't matter what quals you have on paper, it's being competent to do the work in accordance with the regs, and safely. from your posts, I'd class you as competent to do whatever you were comfortable with, including CU work. the only limitations you have are notifiable works as stated by Taylortwocities, but you could do as I have done since 2005, and ignore the silly part p rule that was forced upon us by the competent person scams (non-electricians, just money grabbers. look at how niceic have made millions from accepting short course incompetent "domestic installers" into their ranks ). From a personal view, I can wire up a factory in 3 phase, but ain't allowed to replace a 1950's fuseboard for a safe RCBO fire-proof DB in a house. The mind boggles, and after further , boggles again.

I became a Rebel at 13 and still continue at 76. Long live non-conformity.

Reply to So, What can I actually do now? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock