Discuss So...Which one do I do first? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Bane

Hi guys,

Well, from what I've harvested from the web and picked from peoples brains am I correct in thinking that the following quals should be enough to get me an entry level (electricians mate) position? Also, Is this the correct order in which to do the courses? (Sorry if this seems obvious)

1) C&G 2330 (Level 2)
2) C&G 2356

Then, I'd complete my 2330 (Level 3) with a potential employer correct?
After these I could then opt to complete:

A) C&G 2391
B) 17th Edition
C) C&G 2377 (PAT)

My line of thinking was to complete 1&2, hopefully get employed and complete 2330 Level 3 then stay on as a mate for a year or two gaining hands on experience then complete A,B & C. (Or get my employer to pay for it) :p

What does everyone think? Would appreciate your input.

Thanks,

CC

To do the 2391 course you need to have 2381 (16th edition) before you can start 2391 but can do 2377 at any time better to do both parts management and testing not just testing.

personally, unless your intending to go into Pat testing, i wouldn't go into it. that basis, is on the company i work for, our pat testing has gone kerrputt! good extra thing to have though, when it comes to cv etc and quailifcaiton, and maybe if u come self employeed u could use it then,

regards luke

i would do:

17th Edition (2382)

then

fundamental certificate in inspection and testing (2392)

then

Inspection & testing (2391)

do the PAT (2377) as a side issue (if and when), it is completely unrelated to the other quals (but as Ian says, do both modules 100 & 200)

The 2392 is just coming out (i have got the spec for it) and is a good away to get a formal qual in inspection and testing before jumoing into the much harder 2391.

AAAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

THE NUMBERSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

THEY'RE MELTING MY BRAYYYYYYYYYYYYNNNNNN!!!!

(Jesus Christ! 2330, 2391, 2377, 1234, ABCD, what more is there!!!)

Sorry about the previous post, lost it there for a minute :)

Luke? You've confused me slightly.

"personally, unless your intending to go into Pat testing, i wouldn't go into it. that basis, is on the company i work for, our pat testing has gone kerrputt!"

Maybe I'm being stupid but can you clarify this for me? It sounds contradictory to me?

Last edited by a moderator:
PAT testing is worthless. A monkey can do it and it doesn't pay very well. More like the dirty end of the stick as an electrician. I have worked for 3 contractors and the sparks that don't get on with anyone or are crap get put onto PAT testing. Don't waste your time is my advice

Cirrus speaks wise words

I teach 2377, to people who WANT it

If its just another qual, it can be a millstone around your neck

I can see your new boss with a big grin going "so you've got PAT testing have you laddie? i've got a little job for you....."

the sound in the background will be the other sparks giggling

Yet again, thanks Cirrus :)

So, after reading everyone comments I'm thinking along the lines of:

1) 2330
2) 2382
3) 2392
4) 2391

That sound about right?

Tomorrow I'll look into the figures for these courses and if I can't lay out in one go you think no's 1&2 will be ok to get me started with a firm?

Bane,

the guys i teach do the EAL Domestic Installer (Part P) and 2382 as a straight two week package.

I'm starting to book them up now for 2392, and they are starting to trickle back to me for their 2391

OK, the EAL is only domestic, but ZS is ZS. a TNS supply is a TNS supply.

I took a bus driver from working nights up and down the M4 to working in a three phase industrial environent after less than 3 weeks of training.

Dont get me wrong, he didnt exactly go in as the gaffer, but they still chucked him £11.50 an hour.

The point is the EAL get his foot in the door, because he knew one end of a meter from another, and could select an MCB after calculating Ib, then size his cables accordingly.

He's still got a lot to learn - BUT he wanted to work as a sparks, and now he is.

job done.

PAT testing is worthless. A monkey can do it and it doesn't pay very well. More like the dirty end of the stick as an electrician. I have worked for 3 contractors and the sparks that don't get on with anyone or are crap get put onto PAT testing. Don't waste your time is my advice

I have a bloke who works under me falls into this catergory. When given other job sheets he starts asking questions like

What is it?

What do you want me to do?

Go look at it and f****** fix it.

Apologise for above

Last edited:

Reply to So...Which one do I do first? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock