Discuss So with the all steel consumer units on the way your conversation goes something like in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

baldsparkies

Customer
Hi,
You fitted a consumer unit for us about 10 months ago.
You
Yes that's right, how can I help ?
Customer
Well the thing is I have just been browsing websites, and I have found the consumer unit you fitted is no longer compliant.
You
Yes there are new regulations concerning the materials used, but don't worry because it was compliant at the time of installation.
Customer
Well I am worried, because its not just a matter of a change in regulations is it !!
You
What do you mean ?
Customer
Well the regulations have been changed due to a potential fire hazard with the consumer unit you installed.
Apparently the materials used are not considered as non combustible.
I therefore feel I have been left with a consumer unit that is constructed of sub standard materials and from what I read a potential fire hazard in my home.
To be honest, I feel they should be re called and replaced with the new all metal units free of charge, by you.
And that it's up to you as the registered installer to seek compensation from the manufacturer or whoever you feel is responsible.
When can you come and replace the sub standard unit please, as I don't want a potential fire hazard left in my home.
You
And this is the bit for your thoughts and comments lads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: So with the all steel consumer units on the way your conversation goes something

me: mr. X. there's no need to worry. these all metal consumer units have been introduced to combat the risk of fire from a poorly installed unit. as you unit was correctly installed by a competent electrician, the risk of fire is minimal, so therefore i decline your request to remove a perfectly reliable piece of kit based on the knee-jerk reaction of a bunch of fat-heads who themselves created the situation in the first place with Electrical Trainee courses.

Re: So with the all steel consumer units on the way your conversation goes something

And that it's up to you as the registered installer to seek compensation from the manufacturer or whoever you feel is responsible.
When can you come and replace the sub standard unit please, as I don't want a potential fire hazard left in my home.
You
And this is the bit for your thoughts and comments lads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer;
The new regulations are not yet in force, January 2016; BEAMA clarifies the new consumer unit regulation in BS 7671:2008 Amendment 3 | Voltimum UK
I won't be replacing it.
If you feel it's substandard, YOU contact the manufacturer, if they agree with you that it should be replaced and are prepared to supply YOU with a new one, then I will come and replace it free of charge.

See also section 4; http://www.niceic.com/Uploads/File1950.pdf

Last edited:

Answer;
I won't be replacing it.
If you feel it's substandard, YOU contact the manufacturer, if they agree with you that it should be replaced and are prepared to supply YOU with a new one, then I will come and replace it at my normal hourly rate
corrected that for you, mate. no charge.

corrected that for you, mate. no charge.

No definitely FREE.
No manufacturer will agree to replacements and neither will any Court.

The likelyhood of this happening is zero. How many customers of yours have the first clue that electrical regulations even exist, never mind the fact they get updated from time to time.
I do get your point though but it's probably worth mentioning that when the 17th was introduced I didn't get a single call about non compliant CUs installed to the 16th. There were circuits which were not RCD protected! Gasp! Shock! Horror!

The likelyhood of this happening is zero. How many customers of yours have the first clue that electrical regulations even exist, never mind the fact they get updated from time to time.
I do get your point though but it's probably worth mentioning that when the 17th was introduced I didn't get a single call about non compliant CUs installed to the 16th. There were circuits which were not RCD protected! Gasp! Shock! Horror!
and how many of those have burst into flames since installed up to 24 years ago?

None of mine have Tel, I'd put money on yours not bursting into flames either. (Maybe nicked for the weigh in but no flames) :)

Utter madness! On a side note Electrifix are offering LAP boards at a decent price which they claim are compliant for the new ammendment. They look to me like a cheaper version of Hager MCBs, any one fitted one yet?

Utter madness! On a side note Electrifix are offering LAP boards at a decent price which they claim are compliant for the new ammendment. They look to me like a cheaper version of Hager MCBs, any one fitted one yet?

Lap=cr@p and I emailed BEAMA about screwfix claiming they was compliant and they emailed be back saying they are not.

Lap=cr@p and I emailed BEAMA about screwfix claiming they was compliant and they emailed be back saying they are not.
What's it got to do with BEAMA? Have they tested this board to say its not compliant with BS 61439-3?

If they have, and its not...would expect to see trading standards involved tbh!

What's it got to do with BEAMA? Have they tested this board to say its not compliant with BS 61439-3?

If they have, and its not...would expect to see trading standards involved tbh!

What we do

BEAMA and LFB have seemed to have influenced this new reg considerably.

They have said even though it may be compliant with BS61439-3 ABS fire retardant material is not non combustible.

Customer
Hi,
You fitted a consumer unit for us about 10 months ago.
You
Yes that's right, how can I help ?
Customer
Well the thing is I have just been browsing websites, and I have found the consumer unit you fitted is no longer compliant.
You
Yes there are new regulations concerning the materials used, but don't worry because it was compliant at the time of installation.
Customer
Well I am worried, because its not just a matter of a change in regulations is it !!
You
What do you mean ?
Customer
Well the regulations have been changed due to a potential fire hazard with the consumer unit you installed.
Apparently the materials used are not considered as non combustible.
I therefore feel I have been left with a consumer unit that is constructed of sub standard materials and from what I read a potential fire hazard in my home.
To be honest, I feel they should be re called and replaced with the new all metal units free of charge, by you.
You

Where is the c.u. Located as the regs are with regards to escape route and under stairs, anywhere that you affect you exit route, you could also consider that a cabinet, made of a non- combustible material is also acceptable,

excuse the grammar

BEAMA (British Electrotechnical and Allied Manufacturers' Association) are nothing more than a manufacturers trade organisation and shouldn't be considered as anything more than that!! They are NOT independent, they represent the interests of 350 companies that pay fees to BEAMA....

I'll mention it once again, ...the rest of Europe seem to be very happy with the present fire retardant BS/EN standards relating to enclosures containing OCPD and the like, and have no plans on making any changes!! So who's being lead up the proverbial garden path??

BEAMA and LFB have seemed to have influenced this new reg considerably.

I read somewhere recently that the BRE (building research establishment) and Voltimum were instrumental in the full metal jacket. Can't remember where it was I read it, but it was from a proper source and not heard down the boozer!

BEAMA (British Electrotechnical and Allied Manufacturers' Association) are nothing more than a manufacturers trade organisation and shouldn't be considered as anything more than that!! They are NOT independent, they represent the interests of 350 companies that pay fees to BEAMA....

I'll mention it once again, ...the rest of Europe seem to be very happy with the present fire retardant BS/EN standards relating to enclosures containing OCPD and the like, and have no plans on making any changes!! So who's being lead up the proverbial garden path??

The reg is irritating and ill thought out to say the least.

I know a lot has been said about metal units....but no one has really come up with an answer how these metal consumer units are to be installed to restrict spread of fire. ie cable entry points.

I know a lot has been said about metal units....but no one has really come up with an answer how these metal consumer units are to be installed to restrict spread of fire. ie cable entry points.

The advise is that cable entry points should not be at the top of the DB for obvious reasons.Thats about it I believe.

Reply to So with the all steel consumer units on the way your conversation goes something like in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock