Discuss Socket above sink, tiny room, nowhere else to put it. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electricshock

Basically a tiny room as wide as the sink has a sink fitted and a socket above it.

There is not enough space to move it anywhere else, what should be done.

Its for an industrial EICR

so there is noway i can pass it by leaving it there. This is there kitchen. They plug kettle in. What if it was moved higher up. How high would i need to move it to pass the EICR

get them to plug it in the next room. IMO as it is they could have the kettle plugged in while filling it. it could be dropped in the sink full of water. get rid.

Leave it where is, advise a sign gets put up stating not to use sink and socket at same time, its in a factory, they can be trained instructed persons, or swap it for a MK masterseal one.

if the socket is above the sink, where does the kettle sit when it's plugged in? on the taps?

with wet plates dripping on the base if it's cordless. i stand by my original post code 2. unsatisfactory.

im more concerned with what i can do to make it safe and leaving a socket there for them to use. If i change it to rcd socket, would that be a pass

Leave it where is, advise a sign gets put up stating not to use sink and socket at same time, its in a factory, they can be trained instructed persons, or swap it for a MK masterseal one.

this would not stop it getting dropped in sink though, poor design really so as others have said, next room would be best. In saying that I bet your suggestion won't go down well so best to just explain the regulation and give them the problem to decide whats best, that way its them telling you to move it not the other way round rather than you looking the bad guy.

It's not a kitchen.
A kitchen has a food preparation area.
It's just a sink and has no special status (as far as I know).

That doesn't mean it's safe it just means it's not illegal.

Laurie

doesn't matter it's not a kitchen, a sink is a sink.

It's not a kitchen.
A kitchen has a food preparation area.
It's just a sink and has no special status (as far as I know).

That doesn't mean it's safe it just means it's not illegal.

Laurie
The building regs define a kitchen as 'a room or part of a room which contains a sink and food preparation facilities'.
'Facilities' doesn't necessarily have to be an 'area' - you could still prepare a pot noodle on the draining board (which is highly likely in this situation) and in fact that is where the kettle is being stood.

As per the building regs "accessories should be installed a minimum of 300mm from the edge of kitchen sinks and draining boards to reduce the risk of being splashed".
'Directly behind the sink' is not 300mm from the edge of the sink and draining board.
Either the socket or the sink should be moved so they are at least 300mm from each other.

Reply to Socket above sink, tiny room, nowhere else to put it. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net