Discuss socket box next too washing machine water connectors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jonboy79

Surly this cant be right. under the sink where you connect the washing machine pipes to the hot and cold someone has fitted a socket box for the washing machine. its not even a waterproof unit, its a rented house and im a little bit concerned that if it leaks the misses might get a new hair do.

Not ideal but any socket could be subject to water exposure if there is a leak elsewhere in the house. I wouldn't overly worry about it TBH.

I saw one when doing an EICR, carried out other bits and moved socket to adjacent cupboard
i think it's a problem because if you have a problem it's not very easymoving a washing machine out especially full of wet clothes

Building regs recommend that a socket shouldn't be under a fitting, where a leak can drip onto a socket outlet, but no electrical regs to say it is wrong.
In the unlikely event that it does happen, and provided the circuit is RCD protected, and considering that it is not a hand-held appliance, I wouldn't worry too much :)

Thanks all for your replies. it seems crazy there are no regs for it, when you then compare regs for bathrooms. agree that any socket could get dripped on by a leak, but you know what these washing machine connectors can be like. i've put a plastic tub over it just in case, still not ideal in my mind thou. again thanks all.

If you are really worried about it have it changed for an IP65 socket that also encloses the plug . They do'nt cost that much and will stop this niggling away at you,

I think there are regs vaguely relating to it. Stuff like 'proximity to non-electrical services', 'prevention of mutual detrimental influence' etc, which says to me that a degree of common sense is required, ie don't put a socket where it is going to get dripped on, kicked, knocked etc.
It's not quite as cut and dried as the distance from a bath or sink, but true to the spirit of the regs they state 'consideration should be given'.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't there one time you couldn't put a socket with in touching distance of a sink or am I wrong
300mm from the edge of the sink or draining board.

Just installed one under a sink.

No choice.

How many pipes are under a floor, if they leak its straight into a pendant....

Pipes shouldnt leak, if they do hopefully protective devices will work accordingly.

Cant see any difference between the fused spur for the imersion heater and the washing machine socket beside the sink drainage pipes, (except they are low pressure and less likely to leek?)

Building regs recommend that a socket shouldn't be under a fitting, where a leak can drip onto a socket outlet, but no electrical regs to say it is wrong.
In the unlikely event that it does happen, and provided the circuit is RCD protected, and considering that it is not a hand-held appliance, I wouldn't worry too much :)

Thats not like you Guitarist , getting all slack and nonchalant about a potential hazard , some of my bad habits must be rubbing off lol.

Thanks all for your replies. it seems crazy there are no regs for it, when you then compare regs for bathrooms. agree that any socket could get dripped on by a leak, but you know what these washing machine connectors can be like. i've put a plastic tub over it just in case, still not ideal in my mind thou. again thanks all.

People dont tend to do the washing in the nude whilst standing in water

Thats not like you Guitarist , getting all slack and nonchalant about a potential hazard , some of my bad habits must be rubbing off lol.

Getting out of bed is a potential hazard!
As I said before, I merely offer my opinion based on my own experiences, along with how I interpret the regs. I have no issue with installing a socket behind a washing machine or dishwasher (although I do provide isolation above the worktop) :)

I don't think Guitarist's answer you quoted was either slack or nonchalant, he did mention what was recommended but added no reg says it's wrong. Also, unlikely events and provisos.
Fairly thorough answer imho

From sink and drainer...Yes as it can be splashed whilst washing up.

However below the sink does not count as it cannot be splashed whilst washing up.(That said some kitchen fitters I know????)

Reply to socket box next too washing machine water connectors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock