Discuss Socket box sinker. (+ sds chasing chisel) in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

GT1

Anyone use a socket box sinker ?
I'm thinking the armed type.
I've got 2 or 3 jobs lined up soon where I know I will be chopping out in brick. So I think now's the time to bite that particular bullet and lay out for one. !

Be grateful for any pointers
Cheers.

Be a man and use the hammer and chisel :D:D:D

I have used them in the past, but TBH they are only good for soft brick, breeze or thermalite.

top tip. DON`T bother :D honestly don`t bother for brick, have a search on here and there is a thread on how useless they are for brick mate.
get a scutch or even better an sds scutch bit. i got one the other week for twenty quid. well impressed with it

I have an Armeg set, and can vouch for how they work on brick. RUBBISH. They're great on soft breeze, allthough my apprentice has gone in too far with them on occasion.
With brick, I just drill a series of holes. With the cost of an Armeg set, I'd just stock up on SDS drills.

Holy cow !

That answers that one then.
Cheers fellas. !

Normally use lump hammer and scutch to be honest.

What about the sds wall chasers. Are they just as pants ?

i have the sds scutch and it`s great. i reckon i could do a good demolition with it :D got it from the wholesalers for a snip

Ah would love to oblige however I can't, for some reason that I'll make up later. !

When using the sds scutch then do you just chase straight down the wall to width of the chisel, or are you cutting some "edges" first with a grinder ?

only thing you need to oblige is by posting mate :D thats what were here for a good bit of advice and to help each other when we need it. always best to ask.
i have only used it for chopping out for back boxes since i bought it mate tbh as i am not out working all day got tuition fees on at the mo. will get dirty soon though:D

I've been using what they call an SDS tiler's chisel for boxes lately.... the 75-80mm ones are perfect for back boxes, basically they are a wide bolster-chisel shape with a bit of a bend in the end and are great for cutting out perfect boxes and wide channels, too.

I have found the easiest way for me is to use a grinder down the edges of the chase, and SDS chisel out the inner.

When fitting back boxes, pepper the brick with a drill, tape on drill bit for depth guage and again SDS chisel it out, crumbles like biscuit then, almost perfect square recess.

SDS scutch for me. I have a box cutter thing (Armeg) which works best in snow and marshmallow, though is quite good in sandstone, whereas a chisel isn't so good as the structure of the stone absorbs the impact. My findings not scientifically proven!

I have a set but havent used them as was taught when i did my time to use a scutch and lump ! old habbits die hard ! might use them to lightly mark surface and must admit i do use a chaser the same way !

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Socket box sinker. (+ sds chasing chisel) in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock