Discuss Socket choice and position for wood panelling in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alucard

Hello everyone,
First post on here.

There is wood panelling running all the way around the main room of this flat.
[See pictures]

1. What height would you install sockets at?

2. Would you use surface mounted or fit them flush?

PICTURE WITH MEASUREMENTS:
Wood Panelling w. measurements 33%.JPG

LONGSHOT OF SECTION:
Wood Panelling longshot 33%.JPG

Thanks in advance

i would, with the customer's agreement, fi in the panels . have come across this situation where there was just enough clearance behind the panels to fit a 25mm K/O box. and flush fit. ( might have to chip into the plaster in your case.) or, again after consulting client, you could mount above the panelling. if cables come from above, means you don't have to touch the panelling, sockets still below 1200mm.

Last edited:
then again, a lot depends on whether the cabling is from above or below.

900mm is too high surely. Especially for any appliances that sit on the floor. As has already been said, it probably depends on where your cables are coming from. I would cut the panelling with my multi cutter (nice neat finish) and have them flush if possible.

Looks like it will be very tricky getting cables behind the panelling without damaging it though

just a thought... could you come from socket/s on the back side of the walls and drill through?,

Thanks for the replies

I think for the best look, flush butted up to the lip at 900mm
Flush butted up to the lip would definitely cause a problem with getting plugs in, and any higher may mean some short flexes won't stretch.

just a thought... could you come from socket/s on the back side of the walls and drill through?,
Good thought, but I also can't come through from next door as only one wall is not exterior or adjoining, and that's a solid wall.

i would, with the customer's agreement, fi in the panels . have come across this situation where there was just enough clearance behind the panels to fit a 25mm K/O box. and flush fit. ( might have to chip into the plaster in your case.) or, again after consulting client, you could mount above the panelling. if cables come from above, means you don't have to touch the panelling, sockets still below 1200mm.
This is probably what would look neatest.

What height would you fit them at?
Flush with the 300mm high detail on the panel, or maybe at 350mm or 400mm?

first check of you have a decent gap behind the panels.

Thanks for the replies

This is probably what would look neatest.

What height would you fit them at?
Flush with the 300mm high detail on the panel, or maybe at 350mm or 400mm?

I would go more for the 400mm or so from the FFL level, and always in the centre of the panels too. How your going to get your cables to those positions mind, is another matter alltogether!! I wish you Good luck....

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Socket choice and position for wood panelling in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net