Discuss Socket distance from floor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I am building an annex in my rear garden.
Unfortunately the electrician has not fitted the sockets at a distance 450mm from the floor.
As I understand the 450mm distance is for new builds would an annex constitute a new build.

Please advise

Thanks

Hi

I am building an annex in my rear garden.
Unfortunately the electrician has not fitted the sockets at a distance 450mm from the floor.
As I understand the 450mm distance is for new builds would an annex constitute a new build.

Please advise

Thanks

See the building inspector overseeing the project and get their input.

Is that similar to the rest of the house.
Fine though as it is as an annex isn't classed as a new build.
What has he set height of light switches at, existing or somewhere near new build heights of 1200mm max ffl.

I’d have gone with the same heights as rest of the house so they don’t look out of place.

Unless they were ridiculously low and could cause damage to accessories being plugged in.

Last edited:
As above, the socket 450mm height (and lower switch height) only applies to new build properties. These heights are a requirement for disabled access as mandated in BR Part M.
Thus building regulations document also details a whole raft of other requirements including ramped access, wide doorways on downstairs WC for wheelchair access etc etc. I’ll bet your annex does not include any of these features because they are not needed.

socketsshould be fitted at whatever heightthat you, as the customer, wants them ( providing that they are not so low as to damage appliance flexes).

Did you not raise this at the time when you saw the boxes being put in? Is it important to you the height?
To answer your question, assuming this is a permitted development, it must comply with building regs. Has the socket circuit been extended or is it a new circuit? If new then it would require notification to the council. Was this done? Is a building inspector overseeing it to sign it off?

Last edited:
As above, the socket 450mm height (and lower switch height) only applies to new build properties. These heights are a requirement for disabled access as mandated in BR Part M.
Thus building regulations document also details a whole raft of other requirements including ramped access, wide doorways on downstairs WC for wheelchair access etc etc. I’ll bet your annex does not include any of these features because they are not needed.
Thanks
Yes not needed so just to confirm a new build is a new house, flat etc
[automerge]1593556394[/automerge]
Is that similar to the rest of the house.
Fine though as it is as an annex isn't classed as a new build.
What has he set height of light switches at, existing or somewhere near new build heights of 1200mm max ffl.
Thanks
Just to confirm a new build is a complete build house, flat etc. An annex still constitutes part of the house so it’s not classed as a new build is this correct.
note the Annex is detached from the main house as it’s built at the back of the garden

Reply to Socket distance from floor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock