Discuss Socket extension question - max amps in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

stoutlad

This has no doubt been asked often by non electrical minded folk like me but when a socket extension says maximum 13amps, does actually that mean 4 plugs fitted with 3amp fuses like desk lamps etc (or 5a+5a+3a) or does it go by the actual amps of the equipment and you could have say 6 plugs with 5 amp fuses all switched on in your socket extension? is it watts divided by volts = amps?

The latter part of your question is correct. The maximum amount of Amps for an extention lead is 13A due to the size (csa) of the cable.

If you divide the total number of watts by voltage (230) you get the amount of Amps but try not to run appliances at 13A for long periods, this will cause heat and may damage the extention or melt/catch fire in the right conditions.

As paul says, but also a small table light may be protected by a 3A fuse but won't "pull" 3A's . Best use the wattage ratings of the items you intend plugging in, total them and divide by 230

Do you mean it goes by the actual amps of the equipment, say 6 100w lamps for example would be safe to use in a 6 plug extension lead even though they all would have 3amp fuses fitted and = 18amps total?

and also remember that if the extension is a wind-up one on a reel, the current capacity is way under 13A if coiled up-- nearer to 5A. seen a few of these melt without blowing their 13A fuse.

1 x 100w bulb will pull about 0.43 amps!

What is not recommended is to use 1 x 4 way extension, then plug another 4 way extension into the first extension.

oops, looks like my desk is a disaster area.

ok. cheers. that wind up cable thing happened to me nearly, it was so hot I couldn't touch it and it was smelling like burning. I can't remember what I was doing, maybe hoovering the car out

no actually, I had a convector heater plugged into it

Yep, that would do it!

A lot of people in the winter make the mistake of plugging in 3Kw heaters. That is 13A already. If other appliances are plugged in as well, it will be like a soft icecream on a summers day. (remember them, summer days?)

1 x 100w bulb will pull about 0.43 amps!

What is not recommended is to use 1 x 4 way extension, then plug another 4 way extension into the first extension.
thats 'daisy chaining'....and yes...it aint a good practice....which is why good design will always incorperate enough outlets for the size of property/room and also for the intended use....family size and their trends...etc......

I had this in an office I was working in. I noticed 4rows of 2 desks were powered from One d/s/o. I counted the outlets and they were using 4 six way leads plugged into each other totalling 22 (pc's, monitors and printers). I tried explaining some of the reasons i could think of why this was not a good idea but was falling on deaf ears as i must have made it sound too complicated.
I know no more than 13amps can be pulled total as the feeding plug won't allow it. Anyone know of any easier way to explain this to my client as the lead was running quite hot so must be near its limits.

I had this in an office I was working in. I noticed 4rows of 2 desks were powered from One d/s/o. I counted the outlets and they were using 4 six way leads plugged into each other totalling 22 (pc's, monitors and printers). I tried explaining some of the reasons i could think of why this was not a good idea but was falling on deaf ears as i must have made it sound too complicated.
I know no more than 13amps can be pulled total as the feeding plug won't allow it. Anyone know of any easier way to explain this to my client as the lead was running quite hot so must be near its limits.

A couple of phrases you could use.....
Fire risk
Health and safety
Dangerous

I think I'd use that as a starting block, ie 'heat is where fires start'.
Also point out that if the insulation in the extension melts together there will be a short circuit, the fuse should operate and they'll need a new extension lead, but think about what it's doing to the cables inside the walls....

Regulation 5 of the EAWR springs to mind: "No electrical equipment shall be put into use where its strength and capability may be exceeded in such a way as may give rise to danger."

also advise them that in case of fire insurance may not pay out if they can prove they knew what they were doing was wrong,funny how you can tell them facts and they don,t listen,tell them their insurance may be affected and they tend to wake up.Failing that find a good wall and bang your head against it,that normaly works for me

also advise them that in case of fire insurance may not pay out if they can prove they knew what they were doing was wrong,funny how you can tell them facts and they don,t listen,tell them their insurance may be affected and they tend to wake up.Failing that find a good wall and bang your head against it,that normaly works for me
Strange you say that. They are an insurance brokers !

Reply to Socket extension question - max amps in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock