Discuss Socket For Lights On Lighting Circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Davidgriffiths

Looking for a bit of advice. Not a qualified electritian, but have a fairly competent DIY ability.

I'm fitting a new kitchen in our house, and I'm putting LED strips under the cabinets and plinths.

I would like to be able to control these with a switch on the wall, alongside the main room downlights.

My queston is. Is it against regulations, to wire a 13 amp socket with a 3 amp FCU into the light circuit?

Currently have 2x 4 spot bars in the room, each one powered by a single switch.

Plan would be to wire 10x 2.5watt led downlights into one, and then the led cabinet lights into the other switch. LED power is from a one-piece transformer plug which has a 0.4amp draw.

only thing i can find is over on IET forums:

"553-04 Lighting points
553-04-01 At each fixed lighting point one of the following accessories shall be used:
(i) a ceiling rose to BS 67
(ii) a luminaire supporting coupler to BS 6972 or BS 7001
(iii) a batten lampholder to BS 7895, BS EN 60238 or BS EN 61184
(iv) a luminaire designed to be connected directly to the circuit wiring
(v) a suitable socket-outlet
(vi) a connection unit to BS 5733 or BS 1363-4
A lighting installation shall be appropriately controlled, e.g. by a switch or combination of switches to BS 3676 and/or BS 5518, or by a suitable automatic control system, which where necessary shall be suitable for discharge lighting circuits.
553-04-02 A ceiling rose shall not be installed in any circuit operating at a voltage normally exceeding 250 volts.
553-04-03 A ceiling rose shall not be used for the attachment of more than one outgoing flexible cord unless it is specially designed for multiple pendants.

from what ive googled, this doesnt seem to be regulatory bad, but just not wisely approved by most sparkies!

Whats peoples thoughts?

instead of a 13A socket, fit a 2A or a 5A socket supplied via the light switch. that way, nobody can plug in a fan heater or suchlike into the lighting circuit.

instead of a 13A socket, fit a 2A or a 5A socket supplied via the light switch. that way, nobody can plug in a fan heater or suchlike into the lighting circuit.

OP is using 13A plug in transformers he would need leaded transformers to use 2A or 5A plugs and sockets

I very much considered fitting a 5amp socket, but the power supply is one of the all-in-one plug/transformer units :(

my prefered location for the socket will be above the wall cabinet, so out of place to be of any other real use.

im at a sticking point!

great... like i said.. thats all i could find.... can you help with the latest regs? or just upping your post count?

Like above - when you bate members with flippant comments like this then don't be surprised by a cold shoulder, I'm sure Risteard would have helped further had you not responded in such a manner, he was simply explaining that the regulation you had looked up was from a previous edition of our regulations and had since been superceded.

Last edited:
Like above - when you bate members with flippant comments like this then don't be surprised by a cold shoulder, I'm sure Risteard would have helped further had you not responded in such a manner, he was simply explaining that the regulation you had looked up was from a previous edition of our regulations and had since been superceded.

is it going off here!!!! :6:

If it comes with a fixed 13A plug then it is clearly not designed for permanent installation, you should select a suitable product which is designed for the application which you wish to use it in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would help him but it's the same old thing, why do these people something from a shed or the Internet try to put them in themselves and when it goes ---- up join here and asked questions about how to fix it slag members off why not join then ask for the best materials to do the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply to Socket For Lights On Lighting Circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net