Discuss socket fronts on brick slips? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
The job I'm on requires socket fronts to be fitted into brick slips behind kitchen worktop. Kitchen is not built yet.

Thinking ahead, any nice solution to IP4X requirement against the rough brick fronts which would look tidy? (Yes, mastic etc work but nasty, and rather not need to use any sort of goo). I'm thinking maybe a silicone gasket etc.

Very carefully grind out a space to allow the socket front to be below the brick edge by a few mm?
Make sure you use a recognisable socket so that replacements can be fitted.

Can you cut a recess and flush fit a pattress. Not a lot different to fitting a back box but the socket will sit properly. Done right it will look tidy and give better than IP 4X protection

Last edited:
What a load of crap who the hell has brick/slips as a backing for kitchen work tops? They must be planning on having a lot of take-always!!! If I made one of my classic lamb madras's the brickwork would look terrible afterwards.......

I have seen sockets on brick slips above a worktop once before. They looked terrible !!

They were mounted flush to the brick face and the grout gaps filled with brown silicone :(

Can you cut a recess and flush fit a pattress. Not a lot different to fitting a back box but the socket will sit properly. Done right it will look tidy and give better than IP 4X protection

Maybe, and that means any gunk needed will at least be permanent, or the gaps can be ignored as they won't penetrate the enclosure. Just today I fitted steel back boxes expected to end up a few mm deep, and advised the owner there will be some "craft work" at second fix.

Is that term, brick slips some kind of cladding.?

Yep, this stuff

77.JPG

Reply to socket fronts on brick slips? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net