Discuss Socket height regulation in old home in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Height only applies to current new builds so not necessary. If you are stripping out the whole house and having walls chased etc for new cables you might like to take a view on socket positions being at a more accessible height? I take it the current sockets aren’t in the middle of skirting and an inch off the floor? 😜
No they are about inch above skirting. Walls are concrete so I’m having truncking

Sockets must be at least 18" in height off the floor reg IEE
Hello raylec.
It hasn't been the IEE for quite a few years. It's the IET now. The regulation height of 450mm is not in IET publication of BS7671 I believe. Always happy to be corrected though.
You'll certainly find it in the government publication of the building regulations Part M.
Part M is for new builds but also for buildings undergoing 'material alteration'.
Part M then goes on to say (in a complicated way of course), that if the building is undergoing material alteration it can not be any worse than it was.
So basically, you cant make the sockets lower than they were before, but they can be the same height..... usually, unless they were so low before (skirting board) so as to cause mechanical damage, then they should be raised (Reg 553.1.6)

Last edited:
Hello raylec.
It hasn't been the IEE for quite a few years. It's the IET now. The regulation height of 450mm is not in IET publication of BS7671 I believe. Always happy to be corrected though.
You'll certainly find it in the government publication of the building regulations Part M.
Part M is for new builds but also for buildings undergoing 'material alteration'.
Part M then goes on to say (in a complicated way of course), that if the building is undergoing material alteration it can not be any worse than it was.
So basically, you cant make the sockets lower than they were before, but they can be the same height..... usually, unless they were so low before (skirting board) so as to cause mechanical damage, then they should be raised (Reg 553.1.6)
The IET 'Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations' does specifically say that Part M does not apply to rewires.

That said, if you're doing a full rewire, chases etc then I can see few compelling arguments to not use the 450-1200mm zones regardless.

That said, if you're doing a full rewire, chases etc then I can see few compelling arguments to not use the 450-1200mm zones regardless.

It's ugly as hell having sockets halfway up the wall.
It makes the light switches far too low and they can easily end up being blocked by furniture.

On a rewire you can often reuse some locations, expecially for switches, and reduce the damage by not changing the height of the box.

Blimey, I'd have thought it would be the other way around.
The problem is with the flex exiting the bottom of the plug. With a flush socket, the flex will exit just above the skirting, which would be fine with an oval 0.75mm2 twin, but with a 3C 1.5mm2 flex, the plug will be being forced out at the bottom or twisted.
With a surface socket, bringing out the plug another 25mm or 35mm, the thicker flex will be able to hang straight down, over the surface of the skirting.
It will be much more vulnerable to furniture being moved about on a surface socket, but the regs don't really cover that.

Last edited:

Reply to Socket height regulation in old home in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock