Discuss Socket heights 10mm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DNS

On a visit to price a consumer unit change, plus other small jobs around the house. All of the sockets in the house, apart from the kitchen. are actually all about 10mm above the carpet, when plugs were put into these sockets they had to pull the flex to the side of the plug. The customer agreed with me rambling on about how dangerous pulling the flex is and how low the socket are.
Is this how sockets were mounted back in the 60s 70s?. I will be resiting these sockets higher, I'm sure I will have to extend the cables. Is it best to extend them with crimps or just simply use wago connectors and box.?

what type of cable are the wired in? does it all test out ok? are back boxes fitted? how high is the skirting board
i personally wouldn,t do any kind of joins
can i share your pop corn biff?

As MDJ says, there is 99% of the time slack under the floors
From my experience when sockets were installed on skirting, there is always slack under the floors (they certainly did not clip cables to joists etc in those days)
Take a front of and give them a pull

I would never fit socket upside down

would have thought you could pull some slack up to them from under the floor, would be suprised if you couldn't.
Yes I'm hoping there might be enough slack to even reach above the skirting, the sockets at the moment are mounted in deep pattress boxes. So when there is an adapter and plugs in the socket it sticks out at least 200mm, potentially easily damaged. So even mounting the sockets flush above the skirting will be better.

if there is slack, fine. if not, join under floor with either crimps and heat shrink or wagos in a box. if wiring comes from above, then dig it out at a sensible height.

and an upside down socket contravenes which regs exactly ?
It might not contravene any written regs, but would you do it ? It would really look like a DIY job leaving a customers house with all the sockets upside down. Why does the flex of a plug enter through the bottom of the plug, your saying that it would be ok to have that at the top, exposed and open to anything.....Think about it...... it certainly contravenes common sense regs.

if there is slack, fine. if not, join under floor with either crimps and heat shrink or wagos in a box. if wiring comes from above, then dig it out at a sensible height.
Thanks teletrix , that is exactly what I was going to do. I'm hoping theres enough slack to mount the sockets flush just above the skirting....would save any chasing of the wall and damage decor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, make a spur from that point up higher, blank plate that point. Paint the****** if need be. Job done!! Lol! Btw if it's a ring, - the number of infused spurs on the ring doesn't out number the sockets connected directly. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote= No room for flex ? Just turn all the sockets upside down, saves lot of chasing out.

Are you for real?????? I thought this forum was for electricians. Is this something you'd do?

Ha Ha ha, I believe Andy78 was being sarcastic, or he used to be an apprentice to a blind Ausie.lol

Are you for real?????? I thought this forum was for electricians. Is this something you'd do?
easiest solution introducing "joints" into the cable also introduces another prospective fault
What if MRS Jones doesnt want her wall paper all carved up and blank plates where her old sockets were ??

The sockets break a regulation of cable strain on the flex u could notify the customer and note it on ur minor works test sheet on next major works for the socket outlets to be amend if she doesn't want todo it now or ur going to have to do what others have said and rise the outlets to a more suitable height ?

Reply to Socket heights 10mm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net