Discuss Socket in chimney for fireplace? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

steve447

Thinking if i can break into the ring then ill do that, but if i cant, then will add a spur.
With it being inside the chimney breast and will be hidden, is clipped direct OK? Would the cable be subjected to excessive heat?
Also is it notifiable? Fire place is in a dining room.

Thanks

all depends on whether the fireplace is used for a fire.and what sort of fire.

Yeah it will be used for a fire...not sure which one yet.
That depends on the Boss (wife)
Just trying to cover all angles as we have had a old gas fire removed that was hideous and as it will not be a sole means of heating the room, more for decorative purpose, we are unsure whether to get a electric fire to go in there or a new gass one.
So was thinking if i can stick a socket in there we are covered either way.

worst case is that there is a electric fire in there with 2kw - 3kw of output, would i require anything special?

Last edited by a moderator:
can't see an electric fire overheating the cable, but a gas fire would 1. send heat up ther chimney... 2. send corrosive gases same way. so a big no no. can't you chase cable down outside of chimney brest?

Cheers..yeah there is that option.Ill have a proper look tonight.No doubt by the time i get home the plans will have changed again anyway.

or you could use FP200. and it's not notifiable if it's only an addition to a circuit.

Reply to Socket in chimney for fireplace? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock