Discuss Socket near sink in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

ringer

-
Reaction score
Came across this whilst doing PAT in a women's refuge, and not a single RCD in the house. Whoever installed the worktop and sink never gave a thought to splashes from the sink. The socket front has apparently been changed once due to it smoking (I wonder why?), But they didn't think to change the plugtop. And the RH socket (in the replacement socket) has a floating neutral. I changed the plugtop and tested the fridge but refused to switch it back on. Am recommending to customer they get socket moved. It beggars belief that no-one gives any thought to the electrics when installing the sink.

SpencerRearKitchenFridgePlug3.jpgSpencerRearKitchenFridgePlugInSocket.jpgSpencerSocketNearSink.jpg

I doubt the smoking had much to do with the water to be honest, its one of those things I suppose, in reality risk is probably pretty minimal and it would be hard to code for the socket location on a PIR I think

If this was a EICR, I would be giving it a C2. House has kids running around, there is no RCD protection, and if anyone were to turn that tap on full pelt then water is highly likely to splash directly onto the plug and socket.

I can't really see a problem with it? I'm guessing the room has been converted from its original design and the sink added at a later date. Best solution would be an RCD socket, but whoever uses the sink should be able to avoid splashing the socket.:sunny:

change it for a IP65 RCD socket. job's good.

Reply to Socket near sink in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net