Discuss socket off lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

stevie h

Is there anything in the regs that says you cant run a socket off the lighting circuit ? my obvious answer is that it cant/shouldn't be done , but another spark i know said you can to run booster aerials in lofts etc , and i suppose he is right as the lighting circuit is protected by the 5a mcb so there is no chance of overloading the cable.

I have seen boosters connected directly into the lights before. But I guess the reason for not wiring a socket off the lights is there is always the risk somebody will decide to run a microwave off of it, use it to power an extension lead to the garage for an arc welder or engough crimble lights to be seen from the moon.

If there's no alternative, I'd take the feed from the lights and wire it into a FCU and then the booster directly into that. But that's probably againts the regs too.

No reason at all why you can't....I'm sure. You can use 3 pin 5A socket plates. TV boosters and extractors are often run from a single socket or 13A fused spur.
If the circuit is correctly fused for the cable at the board it will just blow if an Arc welder or any other high output load is plugged in.

done this. booster in loft of barn conversion, came with transformer/plug all in one, so 5a socket not an option. stuck a single 13a socket off lighting circuit with label saying booster only. Couldnt get a proper supply up there as it was an after thought and everything was plastered and painted . Be right !

Iv'e seen a few scenarios where there is a socket spurred off the end of a lighting circuit , mainly only in industrial installations where it would make it practical and hell of a lot less hassel for periodics and initial testing procedures (Z' s test's). It would be good practice to label the socket itself for the application, but as Reg man said " If the circuit is correctly fused for the cable at the board it will just blow" rendering the circuit electrically sound!

I know what you all are saying, but the idea of putting a socket on the lighting circuit still makes me feel uncomfortable.

It's likely that there will be no RCD protection, and as we all know, that's now a biggie. I know that the MCB will blow, but I don't think that's enough of an argument. You can still get a lethal shock off of it first. If there is a socket there - even if it's labeled only for the use of a specific appliance, some numpty will ignore it and plug in an extension to run the lawnmower. Maybe because I've seen people running hot tubs off of an extension lead and no RCD I'm a bit paranoid :)

But I wouldn't have too much of a problem with running it off of an FCU with a 3A fuse.

Just to re open this folks.... Just come across a socket wired in a bedroom thats on the lighting circuit. It's on a 5 breaker. The misses wants to run a hairdryer on it. Can I change the breaker for a bigger one or shall I just pull the socket out???

Nope it's 2.5mm but that's from socket to I'm presuming light in bedroom. Then I'm presuming regs would of made them put in 1.5mm for the lighting circuit

"looks like" is no good you need to be positive.

I would suggest not, any hairdryer ive seen would 'fill up' a light circuit before the lights were switched on

If it's a 2A socket that's switched with the lights then it's for a freestanding lamp only.
If it's a 13A socket switched with the lighting circuit it needs changing for a 2A socket and using for a freestanding lamp only.
If it's just a 13A socket without a remote switch being used for a clock radio etc it needs taking out - lighting circuits are for lighting.

Nope it's 2.5mm but that's from socket to I'm presuming light in bedroom. Then I'm presuming regs would of made them put in 1.5mm for the lighting circuit

Why would you need to change the cable or a smaller one that can carry less current?

OP was Steve H (now a guest?)
Then SteveHubbard reopens the thread with a similar question.

So why is it compliant to protect a 2A socket with with a device greater than 2A, and not compliant to protect a 13A socket with a device less than 13A?

The plug that goes into the socket is fitted with a 2a fuse which protects the flex to the appliance.
You are not protecting the socket. You are protecting the cable that runs to the socket. You can run a 4mm cable to a 13a FCU, the 4mm cable is capable of handling more than 13a so you could protect it with a 16a or 20 MCB/RCCB/RCBO etc. It would be pointless protecting a 13a socket (wired in a cable capable of more than 13a with considerations to cable run length, ambient temperatures and installation referance method) with a 6a MCB etc as some numpty will undoubtably plug in an appliance of greater current drawing potential causing (nusense) tripping.

The plug that goes into the socket is fitted with a 2a fuse which protects the flex to the appliance.
You are not protecting the socket. You are protecting the cable that runs to the socket. You can run a 4mm cable to a 13a FCU, the 4mm cable is capable of handling more than 13a so you could protect it with a 16a or 20 MCB/RCCB/RCBO etc. It would be pointless protecting a 13a socket (wired in a cable capable of more than 13a with considerations to cable run length, ambient temperatures and installation referance method) with a 6a MCB etc as some numpty will undoubtably plug in an appliance of greater current drawing potential causing (nusense) tripping.
Unless you are refering to a clock point, none of the 2A plugs I have ever seen has a fuse in it. - in fact non of the round pin types do, and I would go as far as to say, only the 13A plug and the UK clock point are fitted with fuses.

There is no such thing as "Nuisance Trippng". A Device only trips because it has detected a fault or overcurrent where the circuit design limits have been exceeded.
It is not a nuisance, it a safey feature. If a 13A socket is designed to power a TV amp, or a bedside light then 6A protection is plenty. The regs allow you to have an unlimited number of spurred sockets from a 13A fused connection unit, The number of sockets served by a 32A ring is only limited by the area it serves. In both these examples the circuit arrangement is designed to suit the intended connected load. You can't blame the designer if someone along the line wants to do something different with the installation. There is nothing wrong with this if it is part of an appropriate circuit design.

You can get 5A plugs/sockets with a fuse and round pins or a non standard plug/socket with a T earth pin, which would make it unlikely anyone will plug a arc welder in, but the FCU is probably the way to go

Reply to socket off lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock