Discuss Socket on party wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sarahv

DIY
Reaction score
My neighbours are having a new kitchen fitted and have placed an oven socket on the party wall. Unfortunately this is into our chimney breast and can now be seen from our side. I’m concerned as it could be damaged from heat and surely we shouldn’t be able to see it. We live in a Victorian terraced house. Is this legal and what can we do?

My neighbours are having a new kitchen fitted and have placed an oven socket on the party wall. Unfortunately this is into our chimney breast and can now be seen from our side. I’m concerned as it could be damaged from heat and surely we shouldn’t be able to see it. We live in a Victorian terraced house. Is this legal and what can we do?
Speak to the neighbours would be my first response especially if your chimney is used for a fire or as a flue as it could introduce unwanted fumes into nextdoor

Could you explain what picture 3 is showing I assume the loose board has been removed to expose the socket box

I don't know if you use your chimney for fires, if you do there is a distinct possibility of carbon monoxide escaping to your neighbour. Of course this is by no means satisfactory and they need to site to the side of their chimney rather than on the party wall. I assume they are not using their chimney for fires? Party wall disputes are the most fraught and expensive items ever and can break relationships with neighbours. It seems though that you are ready/happy to sort this out amicably. I question the competence of the person putting that socket in though. Sheeesh!

Speak to the neighbours would be my first response especially if your chimney is used for a fire or as a flue as it could introduce unwanted fumes into nextdoor

Could you explain what picture 3 is showing I assume the loose board has been removed to expose the socket box
Yes it’s the brick that has been knocked out and the rubble. With the chimney board next to it, luckily we currently have an electric fire.

I'd say something before Santa visits Xmas Eve.

giphy.gif

Really disappointed if they didn’t mention to you or the customer that they had broken through a wall.

people have been killed by carbon monoxide when the chimney has been breached .

not something to be left unfixed, the electrician or kitchen fitter etc should be sending round a recognised solid fuel burner engineer round to repair it.

I am sure that the adjoining wall on a chimney should, or is usually double skin not single skin. I think there is something wrong with the construction there.
Quite correct,

I would also wonder on the safety of the chimney breast against collapsing if the brickwork has been removed on the other side.

So update, have spoken to the owner (channel 4) and been round to look at their side. It is double bricked and they have gone through a brick and a half to get the socket fitted. hopefully they will be in contact with the electrician to correct their mistake…. Just waiting to hear for now.

If it helps resolve an argument later on.... Building Regulations Part A (Structural) section 2C30 says that chases (of which this would qualify as one) shall not be more than 1/3 of the overall wall thickness. It further states that they should not be positioned as to impair the stability of the wall - which this clearly has.

Also, Part B (Fire Safety) requires "When carrying out electricsal installations in a building the installer must not degrade the precautions taken or building design features intended to limit the spread of fire or limit the propogation of smoke and fumes".

The 'electrician' responsible for this MUST have known they'd done this as there's no way they'd have gotten a fixing screw to hold!!

The 'electrician' responsible for this MUST have known they'd done this as there's no way they'd have gotten a fixing screw to hold!!
I was thinking the same. I'm also wondering where the zeal and enthusiasm came from to cut so deep!

The only way this makes any sense in my mind is if the first brick completely crumbles away, so he thinks never mind I'll attach it to the one behind (bad plan), and tries to drill for a rawplug and the brick is already loose and simply pushes right out.

But mistakes happen and it's generally best for your reputation to 'fess up especially when it's never in a million years going to go un-noticed!

Reply to Socket on party wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net