Discuss Socket outlets with built in USB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Andy-1960

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not a great fan of these for the reasons mentioned in the video, but what this guy highlights regarding the earth is more than a bit worrying. The video goes on a bit but just a warning that these things are on the market!

I have always been wary of these. The first wave were no-brand garbage that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. This article from 2014 also persuaded me to steer clear....
http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100145109/web_usb-article-from-so32.pdf

Now the bigger brands have taken these into their ranges I am a bit less worried. I have fitted the BG and Schneider Lisse versions and they seem to be well made.

My chosen brand for second fix gear, Hager, still have not brought one out, although apparently one is one the way.

I don't see the problem? Socket with a transformer in them? Obviously when with larger brands like bg etc

Wouldn't know about when testing as I don't do testing(me personally. Boss man does it before everyone jumps on me thinking I don't test at all)

I don't see the problem? Socket with a transformer in them? Obviously when with larger brands like bg etc

Wouldn't know about when testing as I don't do testing(me personally. Boss man does it before everyone jumps on me thinking I don't test at all)

I think you still have a lot to learn If you don't see the problem!

They're a pain imo. Even the reputable branded ones. I try to talk people out of them if possible.

They solve a problem that doesn't exist imo.

I found the same sockets on amazon with these fantastic wiring instructions.

Socket outlets with built in USB {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

They're a pain imo. Even the reputable branded ones. I try to talk people out of them if possible.

They solve a problem that doesn't exist imo.
How? They're like any other socket?
Never have enough usb plugs in my room so installed one next to my bed for charging my ps4 pad and all my other gadgets
Not having a go but imo they're like any other socket just a little thinker for the transformer

Some brands don't fit in 25mm deep boxes. Have had a failures on Click, MK and BG USB sockets meaning a re-visit. They make IR testing more time consuming.

Probably would still prefer to plug my gadgets into the proper manufacturer approved charger to be honest.

Saw some in Screwfix the other day under £7 each. Looked ok. But as USB C is the next connectivity option fitting the old style USB means they will be out of date in a few years.

A customer got some BG ones and I was pleased to see that they stated they could be IR tested at 500V and give a minimum reading of 10Mohms, I got 59Mohms with three in the circuit.
I don't generally fit them but will if requested. I am no longer worried about the manufacturing quality for the main brands, but it is another thing to go wrong.

A customer got some BG ones and I was pleased to see that they stated they could be IR tested at 500V and give a minimum reading of 10Mohms, I got 59Mohms with three in the circuit.
I don't generally fit them but will if requested. I am no longer worried about the manufacturing quality for the main brands, but it is another thing to go wrong.
Sounds like they've got a suitably rated capacitor in series with the supply to the USB power supply. So it'll block a DC test voltage but allow the small AC current for the charger.

Some brands don't fit in 25mm deep boxes. Have had a failures on Click, MK and BG USB sockets meaning a re-visit. They make IR testing more time consuming.

Probably would still prefer to plug my gadgets into the proper manufacturer approved charger to be honest.
They're all the same input for phones, controllers and other little bits; 2A at 5v(if my memory serves me well). The only ones that differ are tablets and fast charging phones (fast charging being optional)

Nothing wrong with a socket fitted with a USB just don't fit cheap and nasty rubbish from Amazon, I suppose those who are against them don't like the sound of those new fangled mobile phone things also!:)

How? They're like any other socket?
Never have enough usb plugs in my room so installed one next to my bed for charging my ps4 pad and all my other gadgets
Not having a go but imo they're like any other socket just a little thinker for the transformer
They are not like every other socket - they have a permanent load connected. It's like the usb charger is plugged in all the time and can't be isolated for IR testing.

Reply to Socket outlets with built in USB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock