Discuss socket outlets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

grae

Hi just a silly question but I have to ask this . On socket outlets which are for general use it says that they have to now be 20amp and rcd protected. Does that mean that 32amp socket outlets for general use have to be down graded ?

Think you getting reg 411.3.3 concering additional protection and the use of RCDs for socket outlets.

Section (i) of the reg tells us that a socket outlet for general use of ordinary persons and less than 20amps must have RCD protection with characteristics in reg 415.1

And mobile equipment for use out door not exceeding 32amps must also be RCD protected

Ok I think I get it . So socket outlets on a 32amp mcb and have rcd protection are ok as they are more thank 20 amps .
Is this because the disconnection times are higher with just the 32amp mcb and the rcb is just for added protection .
Thanks for your help.

Grae not sure what you saying but what it is not correct.

First have you a regs books ? If you have then read reg 411.3.3 Additional protection for socket outles are covered in this section

The regs says that sockets not exceeding 20amps must have RCD protection as I stated above, for ordinary persons and general use, so in a factory you could easily have a 32 amp socket not on RCD protection and still be good.

Higher disconnection times are used on distribution circuits not on final circuits

Thanks for you help Malcom
I was just getting confused as I have a house where they have sockets fed by 32amp mcb. So in this case They would have to be changed?

Either read the regs or get an electrician to look at your set up. By all means down rate the MCB’s, you’ll soon change them back.
Personally I think you’re on planet Spongle.

SUrely it means a socket of 32A TYPE, rather than the value of the MCB/RCBO it is fed by? Daz

The OP is getting confused between the socket outlet (which in domestic situation is typically for 13A plugs and therefore is of type < 20A when applying the regs) and the OCPD for the circuit (typically 32A for such a circuit). The regs in this case are referring to the type of socket outlet, not the circuit it is on.

I have just done the 17th and maybe I need some down time ! But I'm having a problem with the wording maybe. When it talks about sockets not exceeding 20amps must have RCD protection.

Thanks for you help Malcom
I was just getting confused as I have a house where they have sockets fed by 32amp mcb. So in this case They would have to be changed?
Standard socket-outlets as used in the majority of domestic installations are individually rated at 14A, irrspective of the rating of the Circuit Protective Device.
The Regulations require that any socket-outlets rated up to 20A, and intended for general use by ordinary persons shall be provided with 30mA RCD protection.
If the socket-outlet is rated at more than 20A, is not intended for general use, is not intended to be used by ordinary persons or is not used to supply mobile equipment outdoors, there is no requirement to provide 30mA RCD protection.
You most certainly do not have to change the Circuit Protective Device to 20A.

Reply to socket outlets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net