Discuss Socket problem - DIY question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T1ggy123

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, hoping for some help please. I’m not an electrician - just an occasional DIYer.
Replacing an under-counter fridge and the socket has a problem. Tested it with a Kewtech 107 tester. Neutral light flashing amber in bottom left of triangle. Took socket apart (faceplate is a bad fit for backbox). Not wired incorrectly and holding firmly but took them all out anyway and reseated. Still same problem. Can’t see any obvious damage to wiring but whoever put it in did not sheathe the earth cable. Any ideas please? Thanks in advance. Tom

Do you have the same problem with other socket outlets on the same circuit? If not I would replace the outlet with a new one.

Have you put sleeving on the earth now?
Not familiar with the kewtech 107, does the flashing light indicate a missing neutral, or a short between neutral and earth, or perhaps a reverse polarity?

Do you have the same problem with other socket outlets on the same circuit? If not I would replace the outlet with a new one.
[/QUOTE
Not familiar with the kewtech 107, does the flashing light indicate a missing neutral, or a short between neutral and earth, or perhaps a reverse polarity?
This is the only one I’ve seen this problem on on this circuit. No I haven’t yet put the sleeving on the earth. I will do though if I rewire with new box and faceplate. I’m afraid the leaflet explaining the fault lights is a tad confusing. It’s clearly either 6,7,8 or 9 but I’m not sure which! I have attached the list.
Source URL: Socket problem - DIY question - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/socket-problem-diy-question.187431/#post-1635851

Attachments

• 20F57EC3-CEF5-4033-8CA3-EF73C9E9D911.png
    236.6 KB · Views: 20
If you are sure the connections (in particular N & E) are in the correct places, then likely it is a poor or intermittent N.

I occasionally find my socket adapter or tester (I use various Kewtech ones) don't always make a good contact and I just replace the faceplate if it looks suspect. Sometimes wiggling the adapter/tester can change the results (I still replace it).

Also some sockets are better at fitting in a shallow back box that others, the larger the raised profile, the more likely (in general) it is to fit (flat plate can be the worst). So a new socket might save the bother of changing the box.

Reply to Socket problem - DIY question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net