Discuss Socket & See Circuit Finder in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Been a spark for years and never really bothered with Fora, but thought i would give it a try!

Anyway, i am starting to do a lot of work in a commercial business and they have a three phase DB, that is a little on the old side.

With that, a lot of the labelling is either non existent, or wrong so, i was looking at getting one of these kits to save flicking off the wrong MCB when needed.

Now, i can see the logic and that the socket part would work ok, but how are we supposed to use it on a lighting circuit, when we cannot safely connect it to the live and neutral conductors?

I have looked through a few YT vids but all they seem to cover is the socket part.

Cheers all

:)

why not just switch off each breaker in turn and see what stops working?

why not just switch off each breaker in turn and see what stops working?

Thanks i would normally, however, when the DB is at the other end of a very large warehouse, i would have to keep walking backwards and forwards and wear my shoes out, plus three is some equipment that cannot be turned off during the day.

:D

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Been a spark for years and never really bothered with Fora, but thought i would give it a try!

Anyway, i am starting to do a lot of work in a commercial business and they have a three phase DB, that is a little on the old side.

With that, a lot of the labelling is either non existent, or wrong so, i was looking at getting one of these kits to save flicking off the wrong MCB when needed.

Now, i can see the logic and that the socket part would work ok, but how are we supposed to use it on a lighting circuit, when we cannot safely connect it to the live and neutral conductors?

I have looked through a few YT vids but all they seem to cover is the socket part.

Cheers all

:)
Make yourself an adapter; trailing socket to a set of test leads and get the kewtechj lightmates (or get creative with a few Poundland light bulbs (BC, E27 etc) . Plug the transmitter onto the socket and put the leads from the socket into the lightmates adapter and put the lightmate into the light fixture. Job done.

Make yourself an adapter; trailing socket to a set of test leads and get the kewtechj lightmates (or get creative with a few Poundland light bulbs (BC, E27 etc) . Plug the transmitter onto the socket and put the leads from the socket into the lightmates adapter and put the lightmate into the light fixture. Job done.
but don't use lightmates with Megger leads. they don't work.

it's the stupid shroud on the megger lead ends.

I have the same problem with the megger leads and my socket adaptor, if i turn them round and put the shrouded end into the tester its works, might work for the light mates as well I've never tried
Am I missing something here? I can get them to work with my DIY PAT adapter, banana Ben ends intovtgr megger, probe tips (minus GS38 covers) into the banana socket on the adapter, can't see thr lightmates being an issue

Reply to Socket & See Circuit Finder in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net