Discuss Socket set purchase for newbie sparky? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

If it was me I'd say 3/8 as that a happy medium and you can go to small sizes and big with them, but I personally having an impact driver that takes 1/2 sockets would probably get the 1/2 set.

draper expert. about ÂŁ40. the one i have has sockets that don't bottom out so you can run a nut right down threaded rod. i'll find the model no. tomorrow for you.

+1 for wera. expensive but worth it, pleasure to use and will last you a lifetime if you dont lose them
1/4 set for small bits and panels
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wera-05073220001-Check-Single-Piece/dp/B005M2WJDW
and 1/2 for some bigger jobs.
WERA 05004078001 Metric 1/2-inch Drive Zyklop 8100 SC8 Metal-Switch Slim Ratchet and Socket Set (28 Pieces): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

How well does the case latch shut on them? I've got a bit of Christmas money to put onwards it you see and think its on the list of possibles.

The halfords stuff is great, I've got a halfords black industrial roller cabinet and I left the bottom drawer open by accident, was on steps, stepped down and put my foot in the draw Nd ripped it off the runners and told them and they swapped it for free.

I use 3/8" sockets as they are thinner walled than 1/2" sockets, so get into tighter spaces.
Can be used with judicious hammering on uni-strut.
SnapOn, and I imagine also Faccom and other quality tool manufacturers make 3/8" drive impact drivers.

bahco 3/8 socket set.

d6d932503cbc4ecdc44c30f47f132523.jpg

a little 1/4 socket set is very handy in your main bag upto 8mm bolts

9ba222e7b1e575e1962a5609989506f1.jpg

remember m10 raw bolts use 17mm socket so you will need 3/8 socket set or bigger for that

I use 3/8" sockets as they are thinner walled than 1/2" sockets, so get into tighter spaces.
Can be used with judicious hammering on uni-strut.
SnapOn, and I imagine also Faccom and other quality tool manufacturers make 3/8" drive impact drivers.
to be honest your better off getting an impact driver adapter for how often you will use it

Hi guys

im currently starting my nvq 3 and am starting to buy some hand tools gradually. For my next purchase I want to buy a basic socket set that I can use on panels when using lugs etc or fixing equipment down! Can anyone recommend one please? I've seen this online but would it be any good??

Thanks

Bahco BAHSL25 SL25 Socket Set 25-Piece 1/4-Inch Drive

Iv'e got a set of these 7 piece metric rounded bolt removal socket set they're really good and also come with a lifetime guarantee. these are 3/8" drive and have actually got me out of some sticky situations on site.

Hope this helps.

The vast majority of jobs where a socket set is required, can be adequately handled by 1/4'' and 3/8'' socket set. 1/2'' sockets walls are generally far too thick and sometimes difficult to fit into tight spaces.

Reply to Socket set purchase for newbie sparky? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net