Discuss Socket/switch heights in new build. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SSE

-
Reaction score
Ok, I may be picking this up wrong or being a bit blonde but on the drawings it says light switches to be positioned between 900mm & 1100mm. Now the last time I worked on a new build it was 1200mm max height light switch. Looked up the Scottish building regs & it says "Electrical fixtures Outlets and controls of electrical fixtures and systems should be positioned at least 350 mm from any internal corner, projecting wall or similar obstruction and, unless the need for a higher location can be demonstrated, not more than 1.2 m above the floor level. This would include fixtures such as sockets, switches, fire alarm call points and timer controls or programmers. Within this height range: light switches should be positioned at a height of between 900 mm and 1.1 m above floor level." The last sentence says 1.1m above floor level but earlier in regs you'll see it says "not more than 1.2m above the floor level. So what height is the maximum??

1.2m is the max. height. unless other considerations override.

From my reading off that, it seems that everything excluding light switching should not be more than 1200mm, but light switches as their own separate entity should be between 900-1100mm

The whole idea of these suggested heights are based on a person in a wheelchair and accessibility for them. Where a client elects to have a specific height other than these suggested heights, as far as I understand it, it should be noted on the EIC. Frankly as a more "mature" person, I hate sockets down low behind all the equipment and even 450mm is a bit low with my back the way it is! In my house they go in at 750mm ish.

Thanks for your replies folks. David Spark that was kind of what I took from it, problem being I didn't realise this change when I'd wired it. I'd always went by the 450mm-1200mm & nobody ever said any different. I only picked up on it yesterday but the bloody painters have been in a & cables are already out at heights for 1200mm!! I know someone else who took them out at this height recently & nothing was said so hopefully local authority doesn't pick up on it for completion certificate.

As the switch and socket heights are for accessibility of wheelchair user's do you put room stats at the same height, I ask this as I have had a few issue's with plumbers regarding this height of 1200 with them?.

I always thought they should be mounted at 1500mm, so to effectively maintain the airflow around the stat. However, it seems with the new carlos fandango internet ready stats, you can place them as low as a coffee table:rolleyes:

When I mention the building reqs regarding my specified heights not all but most of the plumbers seem to glaze over, I have even had one say "The reason its not working mrs is because the stats are :rolleyes:too low"

if they're too low, then turn the buggers up.

Reply to Socket/switch heights in new build. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock