Discuss Socket voltage for a 120v appliance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wells42

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, quick question. My wife had a small kiln installed by an electrician some time back. The kilns setup or needs are 15amp/120v. The outlet was damaged and I'm switching it out, but i only have a outlet that is 20amp/250v. Is it safe for the kiln to be plugged into that outlet? My understanding is the outlet has no control over voltage (outside of max volts it can handle), that's the line, breaker setup etc.

Thanks!

BW

Last edited:
Assuming you have different types to indicate the operation voltages (as we do in Europe) then swapping at 15A/120V plug & socket combination for a 20A/250V combination then it is possible to do so but very bad practice.

In the future it is likely to cause mistakes that could well be serious due to someone assuming the wrong voltage for socket or appliance. Is it worth a couple of dollars to take that risk? Really?

Hi, quick question. My wife had a small kiln installed by an electrician some time back. The kilns setup or needs are 15amp/120v. The outlet was damaged and I'm switching it out, but i only have a outlet that is 20amp/250v. Is it safe for the kiln to be plugged into that outlet? My understanding is the outlet has no control over voltage (outside of max volts it can handle), that's the line, breaker setup etc.

Thanks!

BW
Wells42 welcome to the forum and if the receptacle is rated 20 amp 240vac you wouldn’t be able to plug the male it in because it would have a completely different configuration than a 15 amp 120vac plug

Reply to Socket voltage for a 120v appliance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Extremely low voltage on 120v line Hi, I’m not an electrician but my home has 20 amp breaker that has only one outdoor outlet on it with a GFCI...
Replies
Views
I may have posted this before but not sure if it made it in. I want to install an EV Charger in my garage. The panel is two stories up and the...
Replies
Views
I'm taking a look at the 120v wiring in an old travel trailer that I recently bought, and plan to live in full time soon. It has some quirks that...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone :) my first post here. Quick background I'm a newly qualified installer of somewhat advanced years whose just starting out in the...
Replies
Views
Hello All and happy new year. Over the holiay I have changed all of my old sockets to some nice new ones and added a couple with usb sockets for...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock