Discuss Socket wired of a outdoor light! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dizzy_Maskell

Guys please back me up on this, went to a mates house and he has "proudly" shown me his DIY electrical handy work,

Few years back I ran a swa cable to the bottom of his garden tapped off the outside light as he wanted a light at the far end of the garden to for his shed etc.

He has adapted it now and added sockets to the shed for bits a pieces. But he has to turn the outside light on for them to be energised.

As he only uses the sockets whilst he is down there and so needs the light on anyway "there is no problem" can someone back me up so I can show him please as my qualifications don't appear to count.

Main switch 61008 on Con Unit and outside light circuit fed from down stairs lights 60898 B6.

Cheers

1.5mm feeding an outside light and he has tagged some 13a sockets on to that cable, bit of a muppet is he?

Starters for 10
1, Fused always blowing
2, Cable getting hot
3, Not enough volts at the end
4, You are working away in the shed and some divvy switches the lights off

You are right Trev nothing much to go wrong lol:shocked::32:

Serious guys, yes he has tapped into the JB with some 2.5 T&E to supply the sockets I've advised the issues but will not listen to me would some one write a official sounding post I can show him to get him to rip them out again

If he wont listen, then thats his lookout, as long as you are not involved

Serious guys, yes he has tapped into the JB with some 2.5 T&E to supply the sockets I've advised the issues but will not listen to me would some one write a official sounding post I can show him to get him to rip them out again

If he won't listen to a trusted friend then what makes you think he will listen to anyone else.

Phone your local building control tomorrow and ask there advice on what to do about someone who has carried out electrical work without complying with part P.

If he won't listen to a trusted friend then what makes you think he will listen to anyone else.

Phone your local building control tomorrow and ask there advice on what to do about someone who has carried out electrical work without complying with part P.

The council will probably just hang up......

Not if I was doing the asking ;)

Like many I gave a bit of a grievance with this whole part P malarkey and will happily push the issue as hard as I can. I am just waiting for the right DIY mess to come along.

Has got kids? if so warn him of the possible, sorry probable, ramifications of this sort of botch job, because that's what it is, if that doesn't scare him, then he really is a muppet.

You could point out that where he's wired the sockets in 2.5mm, it then reduces to 1.5mm towards the CU, making his 2.5mm a bit pointless.
You could do a quick add up of the current likely to be used on the circuit - sockets, existing lights etc, see if it exceeds the rating of the breaker and point out if he uses that lot all the lights will go out, which is potentially dangerous. I think there's some reg about designing circuits to avoid this.
As already mentioned there's the volt drop to consider as well, which may no longer comply.

Put simply, the cable you put in was only designed for a light, not whatever he's running off the sockets as well.

If that was not a sarcastic comment then I'll suggest the regulation requiring RCD for any socket of less than 20Amps

If it was sarcastic then crack on!
Its got 61008 main switch RCD, it also has 6A MCB, worst can happen is he plugs in something rated higher and operates circuit devices. If he has done it, so what, it ain't OP's lookout.

Reply to Socket wired of a outdoor light! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net