Discuss Socket within 300mm of gas oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Are you meaning there is a cooker isolator with a socket directly above the hob area? Or did you mean a normal double socket to one side?

Last edited:
Are you meaning there is a cooker isolator with a socket directly above the job area? Or did you mean a normal double socket to one side?
There used to be a electric oven with a flex going into a 3 pin plug going into a 13a double socket. The new gas oven doesn’t require an electrical supply so need to remove the socket as it is behind the oven, wanted to know if blanking off the socket would count.

I’m not sure why you think it should be removed. There are sockets or connection points behind a lot of cookers / ovens. It can certainly withstand the minimal heat escaping at the back. Has someone told you it needs to be removed?

Ah ok so this is from gas regs point of view.
I thought it was 150mm in the gas regs.
I’m seeing a gassafe chap tomorrow so can ask for chapter and verse on this but to answer your question I’d have thought that putting wago connectors on the wires and a blanking plate would satisfy everyone, including a future sparks wanting the the joints behind the blanking plate to be maintenance free.

Ah ok so this is from gas regs point of view.
I thought it was 150mm in the gas regs.
I’m seeing a gassafe chap tomorrow so can ask for chapter and verse on this but to answer your question I’d have thought that putting wago connectors on the wires and a blanking plate would satisfy everyone, including a future sparks wanting the the joints behind the blanking plate to be maintenance free.
Thanks that would really help, yes that’s what I thought as no appliance would used if it’s blanked off so surely won’t cause a problem

Our sparks on site guide says this:
7.4.3 Separation
Separation of gas installation pipework
Gas installation pipes must be spaced:
(a) at least 150 mm away from electricity supply equipment, such as metering
equipment, main service cut-outs or supplier
(main) isolation switches and
distribution boards or consumer units;
(b) at least 25 mm away from electrical switches, sockets and electricity supply
and distribution cables. The installation pipework shall not be positioned in a
manner that prevents the operation of any electrical accessory, i.e. a switch or
socket outlet.

The cited distances are quoted within BS 6891:2015. Specification for the installation
and maintenance of low pressure gas installation pipe work

Our sparks on site guide says this:
7.4.3 Separation
Separation of gas installation pipework
Gas installation pipes must be spaced:
(a) at least 150 mm away from electricity supply equipment, such as metering
equipment, main service cut-outs or supplier
(main) isolation switches and
distribution boards or consumer units;
(b) at least 25 mm away from electrical switches, sockets and electricity supply
and distribution cables. The installation pipework shall not be positioned in a
manner that prevents the operation of any electrical accessory, i.e. a switch or
socket outlet.

The cited distances are quoted within BS 6891:2015. Specification for the installation
and maintenance of low pressure gas installation pipe work
So by removing the current socket and replacing with a blank plate that would be good

The thing is, assuming the gas pipe is there already, it either complies right now, or it doesn't.
Changing the oven has no bearing at all on whether it's ok or not, it's a red herring.

According to my friend the gas reg number is clause 8.16.2. He reckons it's 50mm away but is checking latest Amendment 1.

Last edited:
See section 5.2.3 of the IET Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations - no restrictions on accessories behind a cooker, just a minimum of 100mm horizontally from a hob.

Reply to Socket within 300mm of gas oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net