Discuss socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Buzz-light-bulb

Little scenario for you all.

I've been doing an eicr today and come across a double socket wired as a radial on a 2.5mm t-e, which is protected by a 32 amp rcbo.
Technically this cannot overload as the cable can withstand 27 amp ref method c. Unless mr DIY comes along and starts adding new sockets which I am not responsible for so my question is would you leave it

Tin hat on, but I would change the cb for a 20a to comply, 20a radial 2.5 32a radial 4.0mm, only saying, section 15 I think Regs at work I'm having a nice bottle of wine,

might be worth a comment on the eicr....... recommend 20A RCBO to allow for possible additions.

Little scenario for you all.

I've been doing an eicr today and come across a double socket wired as a radial on a 2.5mm t-e, which is protected by a 32 amp rcbo.
Technically this cannot overload as the cable can withstand 27 amp ref method c. Unless mr DIY comes along and starts adding new sockets which I am not responsible for so my question is would you leave it

It doesn't quite meet correct coordination as In > Iz which makes it vulnerable to a subsequent alteration overloading the cable. If it was risk-averse little me I think I'd put it down as a C3 just to cover my backside; there is after all scope for an improvement, i.e. fit a 25A RCBO. Obviously it's safe as it stands.

It doesn't quite meet correct coordination as In > Iz which makes it vulnerable to a subsequent alteration overloading the cable. If it was risk-averse little me I think I'd put it down as a C3 just to cover my backside; there is after all scope for an improvement, i.e. fit a 25A RCBO. Obviously it's safe as it stands.

Can't quite understand your reasoning for fitting a25a RCBO

Think about what happens if someone upgrades the double socket to an (unfused) triple socket with the circuit as it stands and plugs in three 3kW heaters.

Think about what happens if someone upgrades the double socket to an (unfused) triple socket with the circuit as it stands and plugs in three 3kW heaters.

That's my point a radial wired in 2.5 should be protected by a 20a cb

That's my point a radial wired in 2.5 should be protected by a 20a cb

But then you might get false tripping. That cable can (we are told) take 27A and there is a double socket that one might reasonably want to plug two 2.8kW heaters into. The cable will take this, and with a 25A OCPD all will be well. On a 20A, it will trip (eventually) even though the cable was never at risk.

(You don't want to recommend an 'improvement' on an EICR that's going to make the installation more proof against bodgery in the future, but in the present may infuriate the user with false tripping introduced to an installation that was perfectly safe as it was in its present state.)

might be worth a comment on the eicr....... recommend 20A RCBO to allow for possible additions.

what for?...

it were good as found.....

we all know that a condition report is good for the condition as it was inspected & tested...no more-no less...

if a turnip wants to arse about adding stuff then thats their problem...

note that its there by all means...but not 20A RCBO stuff...

Are there any unfused triple sockets?

The cable is protected from overload by the plug fuse(s) and fault current by the mcb.

If anyone adds more sockets they are incompetent.

Your reasons for coding it should also then apply to any spur off an rfc...If you won't code that, then why code this??

It's no different - you can't code depending on what some numpty may do in the future.

I wouldn't even comment on EICR

total crap.

Your reasons for coding it should also then apply to any spur off an rfc...If you won't code that, then why code this??

It's no different - you can't code depending on what some numpty may do in the future.

The difference is there's nothing you can do with the spur on the RFC because the ring is inherently vulnerable to this no matter what you do. It is perfectly correct in all design aspects so no code or comment. The 27A cable on a 32A OCPD does not meet correct co-ordination in terms of the upstream OCPD, instead relying on downstream fusing of the 2x13A which is relatively unusual in domestic, where bodgery is rife, and I believe we are under some degree of responsibility to guard against it (if it's not domestic I'd be less worried). I'm risk averse. I'd C3 it. Others may not. I wouldn't particularly choose to decry their choice.

The difference is there's nothing you can do with the spur on the RFC because the ring is inherently vulnerable to this no matter what you do. It is perfectly correct in all design aspects so no code or comment. The 27A cable on a 32A OCPD does not meet correct co-ordination in terms of the upstream OCPD, instead relying on downstream fusing of the 2x13A which is relatively unusual in domestic, where bodgery is rife, and I believe we are under some degree of responsibility to guard against it (if it's not domestic I'd be less worried). I'm risk averse. I'd C3 it. Others may not. I wouldn't particularly choose to decry their choice.

Totally agree with your comment.

Reply to socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock