Discuss Sockets have live feed but don't work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Diying321

DIY
Reaction score
I know the title is super vague but I have details here is the problem/context..

I recently had my kitchen done (including the lighting) which has caused two of my sockets upstairs to stop working.

The house's had a previous extension so some of a ring circuit up stairs is also down

Sorry to hear about those issues. How long ago did you have the work done? Sounds like who ever did the wiring, didn’t know what they were doing. Did they give you a certificate covering any of the electrical work that was carried out?

How have you proved that the feed to the sockets is live? What test equipment did you use and what was the result?

Did the sockets stop working as a direct result of the work or was there a time period after the work being completed when the sockets did work?

If this is a direct result of the work carried out then you should contact the electrician who did the electrical work and get them to investigate.
[automerge]1597867027[/automerge]
Sounds like who ever did the wiring, didn’t know what they were doing.

There's hardly enough information to be jumping to that conclusion. It could be an honest mistake or just a coincidence and not related to the work done.

I know the title is super vague but I have details, here is the problem/context.. I recently had my kitchen done (including the lighting) which has caused two of my sockets upstairs to stop working. The house had a previous extension so some of a ring circuit up stairs is also down stairs in the kitchen. The guy also connected the new lights to this ring (he should've ran a new separate ring to the main breaker panel since he pulled up all the carpet upstairs, floorboards and broke the ceiling to feed wire around a steel beam, also since he ran cable for the oven) the sockets upstairs are now not working.

The lights upstairs and downstairs however are fine. Main bedroom the socket has 2 sets of wires (2 live, 2 neutral and 2 earth) 1 set is showing a current (40 v) and the other set isn't. The set that isn't also is showing infinite resistance. The hallway socket also has 2 sets and is exactly the same except it is showing 240v with infinite resistance on the 'dead' cable.. there's a third socket which is behind a dresser that I haven't tested but it's in the same part of the house and I suspect is the same.

Also when the wires were connected originally they were showing live on neutral. A side note: the entire circuit kept tripping because it had a b6 breaker on the ring and I knew just the lights alone required 13 amp so I replaced it with a b16.

P.s the guy has gone ghost and I've called an electrician but the wait is silly and my work timing does not marry well with their schedules/working hours. If I can solve and fix it myself with your experience and expertise I'd be really grateful.

The lights upstairs and downstairs however are fine. Main bedroom the socket has 2 sets of wires (2 live, 2 neutral and 2 earth) 1 set is showing a current (40 v) and the other set isn't. The set that isn't also is showing infinite resistance. The hallway socket also has 2 sets and is exactly the same except it is showing 240v with infinite resistance on the 'dead' cable.. there's a third socket which is behind a dresser that I haven't tested but it's in the same part of the house and I suspect is the same.

Also when the wires were connected originally they were showing live on neutral. A side note: the entire circuit kept tripping because it had a b6 breaker on the ring and I knew just the lights alone required 13 amp so I replaced it with a b16.

Replace that 16A breaker with a 6A breaker as soon as possible, you have very likely created a dangerous situation by doing this. Domestic lighting circuits do not normally require 13A, what makes you think this?

40V is a vokatge not a current, where did you measure this between? Is that between live and neutral or live and earth?

I'll ask again, what test equipment did you use to measure this?

What we're you testing that had infinite resistance? What were you testing from and to? What test equipment did you use and what range was it set on?

Replace that 16A breaker with a 6A breaker as soon as possible, you have very likely created a dangerous situation by doing this. Domestic lighting circuits do not normally require 13A, what makes you think this?

40V is a vokatge not a current, where did you measure this between? Is that between live and neutral or live and earth?

I'll ask again, what test equipment did you use to measure this?

What we're you testing that had infinite resistance? What were you testing from and to? What test equipment did you use and what range was it set on?

So there are 6 gu10 downlights in the kitchen and three 40 watt bulbs upstairs.. I done the math (probably wrong) and thought that's what was tripping the circuit (hasn't tripped since changing it few days ago).

I got the 40v reading between live and earth and then a similar reading between neutral and earth. on the other socket this reading was 240v (using a Rolson multimeter)

I tested the resistance between the two live wires and two neutral wires ( I was trying to see if the two sets of wires were part of a ring circuit). The resistance range was set to 200.

How recent is recently?

The work was done two weeks ago - I have tried chasing him up but now has ghosted on me.

I'm sorry for my stupidity in any of this; I'm just a desperate fool.
[automerge]1597869196[/automerge]
I think I'd be getting an electrician in to do that, even.

Once again.....any certificate for previous work?

Sorry, no certificate. I'm waiting on my electrician but the wait I'm getting is too long.

So there are 6 gu10 downlights in the kitchen and three 40 watt bulbs upstairs.. I done the math (probably wrong) and thought that's what was tripping the circuit (hasn't tripped since changing it few days ago).

I got the 40v reading between live and earth and then a similar reading between neutral and earth. on the other socket this reading was 240v (using a Rolson multimeter)

I tested the resistance between the two live wires and two neutral wires ( I was trying to see if the two sets of wires were part of a ring circuit). The resistance range was set to 200.

The work was done two weeks ago - I have tried chasing him up but now has ghosted on me.

I'm sorry for my stupidity in any of this; I'm just a desperate fool.
[automerge]1597869196[/automerge]

Sorry, no certificate. I'm waiting on my electrician but the wait I'm getting is too long.

Well you tried your best. You really do need an electrician though, and you also need the certificate for previous work done.

Was the electrician recommended to you?

Well you tried your best. You really do need an electrician though, and you also need the certificate for previous work done.

Was the electrician recommended to you?

Yeah a family 'friend' - I have nothing good to say about him..

I definitely need a reputable electrician -just by posting this I know to put the 6 amp back in and let it trip out sporadically (probably when all the lights are on)

Yeah a family 'friend' - I have nothing good to say about him..

I definitely need a reputable electrician -just by posting this I know to put the 6 amp back in and let it trip out sporadically (probably when all the lights are on)

Unfortunately these things happen. Maybe someone on here is near you and could take a look?

It sounds like a case of trying to correct someone's mistake when you know less about the situation than they did.
Just seen your latest post.
No apology required. You need someone to make it safe, at least, before anything else.

I can assure you you’ve done the maths wrong mate, did you have problems immediately or after the 2 weeks?

Lol yeah I'm definitely not disputing this.. I didn't check the sockets; they weren't in use.. until I tried using it then tested all of them.
[automerge]1597869695[/automerge]
It sounds like a case of trying to correct someone's mistake when you know less about the situation than they did.
Just seen your latest post.
No apology required. You need someone to make it safe, at least, before anything else.

A nice way of saying "the blind leading the blind" - appreciated nonetheless!
[automerge]1597869783[/automerge]
So just to clarify - don't try anything else and wait for an electrician?

The maximum Wattage for a GU10 is 50W so that gives a maximum possible load of 420Watts this gives a current of 1.75Amps at 240V so should be on a 6A circuit breaker.

Multimeters are unsuitable for this type of measurement as they give false readings due to a phenomenon called capacitive coupling. I expect that if it was measured with the right tester there would be no voltage where you are seeing voltages.

If it is a ring then you should have got a low resistance reading for that test, however you haven't proved infinite resistance, just that it is greater than 200 ohms.

You need an electrician to fix this problem.

The maximum Wattage for a GU10 is 50W so that gives a maximum possible load of 420Watts this gives a current of 1.75Amps at 240V so should be on a 6A circuit breaker.

Multimeters are unsuitable for this type of measurement as they give false readings due to a phenomenon called capacitive coupling. I expect that if it was measured with the right tester there would be no voltage where you are seeing voltages.

If it is a ring then you should have got a low resistance reading for that test, however you haven't proved infinite resistance, just that it is greater than 200 ohms.

You need an electrician to fix this problem.

Ok thank you for the help and time guys.. I'll post a reply when it's fixed so you guys can laugh? at what this clown has done.

Really appreciate your time and help!

I understand your pain, BUT this needs looking at quickly by a REAL electrician.
Hopefully someone will put there hand up and say I am near you and can have a look.

proper electricians, come in do the work, walk round with you and confirm everything is in the right place and working correctly.
then they provide you with a certificate and a bill.
they also have a conscience and a reputation to uphold and will not ghost an unfortunate customer but work with them to find a solution to whatever problem they have.

Edit:
Just read your last post.
There is nobody here who will laugh at you.
In my opinion you are an unfortunate customer who may have been had by a rouge trader.
by coming here and asking the right questions, you have been given some useful info to point you in the right direction.

we will argue amongst ourselves as electricians and laugh at each other misfortunes but wont laugh at the customers expense. that is something reserved for the cowboys.

Last edited:

Reply to Sockets have live feed but don't work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net