Discuss Sockets in a bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

miles

Just looking for a little advise on sockets in bathrooms.

We are going to have our bathroom redone soon and was hoping to fit either an amp or an ipod dock into the bathroom cupboard, i have looked at the regs regarding bathrooms but am a bit perplexed as to what i can and cant do.

Is there anyway I can put a socket anywhere in the bathroom? the cupboard will not be more than 3m away from either the bath or shower. Or does anyone have any other ways around getting power into the bathroom for the amp/dock?

cheers guys,

Miles

Plug the power supply into a socket in another room and buy an extention kit to the docking station. Since you get the bathroom done anyway this can be done before the plasetere comes in. Needs to be protected though.

Plug the power supply into a socket in another room and buy an extention kit to the docking station. Since you get the bathroom done anyway this can be done before the plasetere comes in. Needs to be protected though.

i was thinking about this but i didnt think you were allowed to have a normal power lead going through a wall or sitting in a cavity? might be wrong though?

Miles, you need to think about this very very carefully. If you have kids, particularly a daughter, all you are doing here is encouraging them to spend even longer in there. Before our daughter moved out the bathroom was often a no go area for two to three hours, with music in there it could and probably would have been longer which is not much good if you're common like us and only have the one combined bathroom and toilet.
What you need is some way of automatically emptying the bath water while blasting icy cold air in there to get them out so the bog is accessible again.:)

Miles, you need to think about this very very carefully. If you have kids, particularly a daughter, all you are doing here is encouraging them to spend even longer in there. Before our daughter moved out the bathroom was often a no go area for two to three hours, with music in there it could and probably would have been longer which is not much good if you're common like us and only have the one combined bathroom and toilet.
What you need is some way of automatically emptying the bath water while blasting icy cold air in there to get them out so the bog is accessible again.:)

Thankfully we dont have that situation :) I just think it would be nice to have some music whilst reading haha.

Does anyone know if i can put a socket in the cupboard itself or is this against the regs?

As long as everything is outside the zones I can't see any problem with what you're proposing. Obviously the part p police will have to be notified unless you're in a more sensible part of the UK

Obviously the part p police will have to be notified unless you're in a more sensible part of the UK

not if it's outside the bathroom and not a new circuit.

Thankfully we dont have that situation :) I just think it would be nice to have some music whilst reading haha.

Does anyone know if i can put a socket in the cupboard itself or is this against the regs?

I'd say that unless the socket is more than 3m from the bath or shower, then an ordinary cupboard would count as part of the bathroom and there should be no socket. If it was normally locked, that might be another matter. You could perhaps use a switched fused connection unit, but that's no good for many types of equipment with transformer in plug.

How about sockets in an adjacent room/cupboard/loft with only the extra low voltage cable running into the bathroom?

As the Regulations stand, being outside of any zones is not enough.
A socket-outlet must be more than 3m from the edge of zone 1.
The interior of a cupbord which is not part of the fabric of the building would not be acceptable, if it is within 3m of the edge of zone 1.
If however the cupboard was part of the fabric of the building, then it would be acceptable, as the interior of the cupboard would be classed as being outside of the location.

obviously, a free standing cupboard would not qualify, but what if the cupboard were fixed to the walls? how do you define as part of the fabric of the building?

I am old school socket in bathroom no and why would you want a Ipod docking station tbh I think this id a gimmick that 6 months after you do it you wont use it plus the only time I have seen a socket in a bathroom is due to one of our eastern european cousins putting it in and then me taking it out. Look a it this way if you put it in then the risk goes high dont put it in and there is no risk I once caught my stupid brother inlaw who plugged his radio mains lead in the socket just outside the bathroom door then put the lead under the door and placed the radio at the end of the bath I came in switched it off and then he was in the bath picked it up to see what was wrong then dropped it through his wet hands into the bath but what if this was a short power cut so dont do it

I'm thinking along the lines of an airing cupboard with walls constructed out of masonary or studwork, something that if you were to remove it, you'd have more than just a couple of holes to fill.

So why not have just the speakers in the bathroom , then no need for the power supply to be in there , just plug the speakers into an Ipod in another room so many ways to do it with out having to put a supply in there

and that would get the teenage girls out. just bang some heavy rock on instead of their girls loud rubbish.

Dead right there Tel. Slipknot live always does the trick when my daughter is getting on me nerves:)

i was thinking more on the lines of the bollok brothers nostradamus.

Rather than trying to 'get around' the regs I'd go down the SELV route, ie 12v dc into the bathroom into a car type stereo in the cupboard. You can get docking stations for those.
Either that or just run the speakers in there, bearing in mind ipods aren't meant to be used in humid locations such as bathrooms.

Reply to Sockets in a bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock