Discuss Sockets in bathrooms in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

How long before BS 7671 allows socket outlets in bathrooms

• Amendment to 18th

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 19th

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Never - far too dangerous

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

wheeto

-
DIY
Reaction score
A friend of mine has installed a BS-1363 socket in their bathroom, well outside of the zones (but not 3m outside) and protected by a type A RCBO which is itself downstream of a type AC RCD. The friend installed the socket in a 40mm back box, and when (s)he moves house and gets an EICR, the socket will be replaced by a BS-4573 shaver socket.

This got me thinking: do we think 7671 will ever permit 1363 sockets in "Locations containing a bath or shower"?

In this room, the current regulations prohibit socket outlets unless they're at least 3m away from the bath and the shower. I wondered what members thought of the future, though?

I think the issue is not just "Can water / wet hands touch the socket?" as much as "What will a future moron will bring in, plug in, and perch on the bath side?"

Of course an RCD ought to cover most of that risk, but RCD are not infallible and a good wet connection could result in a very high current before the RCD disconnects in tens of milliseconds.

I think the issue is not just "Can water / wet hands touch the socket?" as much as "What will a future moron will bring in, plug in, and perch on the bath side?"

Of course an RCD ought to cover most of that risk, but RCD are not infallible and a good wet connection could result in a very high current before the RCD disconnects in tens of milliseconds.

Maybe the regs will update and stipulate IP69 RCD sockets being allowed? Covers the RCD side and the water ingress issue

Maybe the regs will update and stipulate IP69 RCD sockets being allowed? Covers the RCD side and the water ingress issue
Interesting thought, although I don't imagine that water ingress into the fitting is really the issue.

There's no reason /need it should ever be changed.

Unless the London Fire Brigade produce evidence to prove not having sockets within 3mtrs is a danger.

Interesting thought, although I don't imagine that water ingress into the fitting is really the issue.
Neither do I but it would tick the boxes, was more for the RCD protection than anything so if you did get someone with a distain for life and wants to bathe with Talkie Toaster, you have the additional RCD protection
[automerge]1591996815[/automerge]
There's no reason /need it should ever be changed.

Unless the London Fire Brigade produce evidence to prove not having sockets within 3mtrs is a danger.
Why LFB? or just LFAs in general?

From a layman's perspective, I'd be inclined to view this in terms of benefits weighed against potential risks.

My parent's house used to have a 5A socket fitted to the bathroom ceiling, close to the door. They used to plug a night light into it and no one ever came to any harm, but that socket recently disappeared along with the perished VIR cable that brought power to it.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has installed a BS-1363 socket in their bathroom, well outside of the zones (but not 3m outside) and protected by a type A RCBO which is itself downstream of a type AC RCD. The friend installed the socket in a 40mm back box, and when (s)he moves house and gets an EICR, the socket will be replaced by a BS-4573 shaver socket.

This got me thinking: do we think 7671 will ever permit 1363 sockets in "Locations containing a bath or shower"?
It already does allow sockets in bathrooms, and not 3m from zones but 3m from zone 1. So, it can't be within 2.4m of the bath or shower.
[automerge]1591997930[/automerge]
I have a socket outlet within 1m of my bath tub, it just happens to be on the landing.
You have a bath on the landing? :)

I don't understand what you would want a 1363 socket in a bathroom for?

With my sensible head on - realistically it would appear ok for things like phone chargers/radio/tech and so on as some people will relax in a bath with media playing or gaming I guess.

Beyond that, I don't think anything should be connectable within the 3m range.

A rcd will be of little use, as soaking wet, even a few mA will be able to pass direct through the heart; whilst when dry (ish) the actual current through the vital organs would be reduced and the operating time does allow reasonable protection.

So I don't think there should ever be allowed the use of any 230V outlets within the 3m

However, I do think a new type outlet should be designed and approved for within this zone, and that would effectively be a USB port - having similar isolation as the shaver outlets

So people won't be inclined to run extension leads for phone/tech chargers into the zone!

However, I do think a new type outlet should be designed and approved for within this zone, and that would effectively be a USB port - having similar isolation as the shaver outlets

So people won't be inclined to run extension leads for phone/tech chargers into the zone!

That rings a bell.
I'm sure it's been argued on this forum before that currently available usb charging euro modules would suffice for current rules in bathrooms.

That rings a bell.
I'm sure it's been argued on this forum before that currently available usb charging euro modules would suffice for current rules in bathrooms.
The issue for me is that there's no guarantee in the current requirements for proper isolation with the USB ports.

It may be the case that there is in most cases, but there needs to be a rule - either all USB outlets must have proper isolation suitable for use in a zone, in which case you could use any; or that those that do have proper isolation are marked as such, in which case those would be the only ones which could be used in a zone.

Reply to Sockets in bathrooms in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock