Discuss Sockets in Brick in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pburley

Hi Im fitting some 2 gang metal back boxes into a brick wall but the bricks are crumbling and Im finding it very hard to get a flat back to the hole. Has any body got any tips to help remove the brick, im using a hammer and cole chisel. Many thanks guys.

Welcome to Electricians Forum | Electrical Advice Forum | An electrical forum for electricians in the UK!

Hi pburley and welcome to electriciansforums.net!

Re: Back boxes in brick

Either set the box in some fast set sand & cement or use bonding compound.

Trouble is, that means you will more than likely have to go back to run in cables if it doesnt set quick enough.

Hi Im fitting some 2 gang metal back boxes into a brick wall but the bricks are crumbling and Im finding it very hard to get a flat back to the hole. Has any body got any tips to help remove the brick, im using a hammer and cole chisel. Many thanks guys.
Hi

Try a scutching chisel, its got a comb effect end.

Your prob. just a bit heavy on the brick because of the type of chisel.

Re: Back boxes in brick

Hi Jason s, Many thanks, if I just cut the hole as close as possible then slap some bonding in and push in the box then pop back the next day when it's dry will that work?.

yeah welcome

put down the sds go by hand, make sure you pre-drill the outline of the box if you didn't. if you can put in a deeper box once youve leveled by hand if poss.

If you have gone to deep or sruggling to get it level at the back, what i some times do and it works a treat is to put a screw in each corner under the box and ajust the screw untill its sitting right. Saves time waiting for bonding to go off:p

Scutch. cannot be beat. Get one and you will never use anything else for precise cutting. Get a sack of one coat plaster, mix some up . if brick work not sealed, it will set rock hard in ten minutes. set back box into it, push some wall plugs yellow through the holes in the back box, into the plaster , wiggle about untill perfect level etc. ten minutes later rock hard and put the screws in !! . Seriously mate, using anything other than a scutch is like going back to the dark ages !!- its what all the stone masons use.

Reply to Sockets in Brick in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net