Discuss Sockets in Loft in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

paddy1515

Hi

I have a enquiry about installing sockets, a friend has asked me if it is possible to run 2 x double sockets in his loft of a 13A fuse spare that is all ready feeding his boiler. Is this possible if not what is the best solution

Cheers

Dave

Not a good idea, the boiler/immersion needs to be on its own circuit and rcd protected.
Someone will give you some more info soon.
Si.

Is the spur on its own circuit ??? Does it feed boiler or immersion ??
If feeding immersion not recommended if the immersion is still in use.If it feeds boiler you could run a couple of sockets because the boiler is not much load.Also depends on what the sockets are to be used for ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you can take it off the lighting circuit. Bear in mind that a usual lighting circuit is only on 1mm cable and protected by 5/6amp fuse/MCB. A socket requires 2.5mm and 30/32amp protection. Also depending on age of the house the lighting circuit is not necesseraly on RCD protection which a socket should be.

Because a socket is able to take many different items, you can never really estimate what load will be put on it so adding it to your boiler could cause problems in the future.

Is it not possible to take a feed up from an existing socket on the first floor?

The lighting circuit idea puzzled me as well. :confused:

I thought the only way to add sockets is either on a new circuit or via spurs. Is this corrent?

I take it 'proper pants' is a name bestowed upon you from your abilities as a tradesman :D

I think "proper pants" is taking the pi** because the guy who asked the question is obviously not a spark and should,nt be attempting this kind of work

i think you're guess is the one mister assured.

although one can't be too sure when he's only made 5 posts for us to judge his sense of humour

i think his use of a 13A fuse spare (not spur) was a bit of a tell tale there

Well I guess I fell for his sarcasm, lowest form of..... etc etc

I would be careful what you put on here. Some people may just believe you. Me included!!!!

I think the thing is, there's probably a million and one DIYers who just see a wire and think they can connect to it regardless of insulation, size, use.
And they are the people sitting at home right now with the lights that dim everytime the fridge compressor kicks in:D

well i guess i fell for his sarcasm, lowest form of..... Etc etc

i would be careful what you put on here. Some people may just believe you. Me included!!!!

I think the thing is, there's probably a million and one diyers who just see a wire and think they can connect to it regardless of insulation, size, use.
And they are the people sitting at home right now with the lights that dim everytime the fridge compressor kicks in:d
lets ****in hope so!!!!!!!!!!;)

WOW that question started abit of a rant (sorry)

OK i'm new to this trade and i was only wondering if you can run the two sockets of the fused spur because it would be a pain in the butt running them from the up stairs ring main, I can't find anything that says you can't do in the regs.

I know u def can't run the sockets from a lighting circuit thats just bloodly stupid if you ask me.

The fused spur only feeds the combi boiler on its own circuit

13A fused spur may be run as a spur from an existing socket on a ring circuit. As far as the regs go you can supply fixed equipment and sockets from it. You can't overload the spur as it has a 13A fuse in it. Obviously if you put a double 13 socket on it and the boiler supply....thats a potential 31 Amps in my book, (13+13+5 for the boiler) so the potential is there to overload and pop the fuse.
Sockets off the lighting circuit? Mmmm....interesting....not

Hope this helps
Randyrat

Answer is , yes you can run as many sockets off a f/s as you like as long as the spur for the boiler come off the ring and not off a previously spured skt..

What you could do is - replace the switched f/s with a un switched 13a fuse spare , then from the load side of the spur supply another sw fuse spur 5-amp for the boiler
and also supply as many skts as you like from the load side of the unswitched 13a f/s
as the 13a fuse is the protection from overload

Read the 17th editon - refer to dedicated circuits - they SHOULD be dedicated - rather than the 16th edition MUST be dedicated... - Now the electrician can make the decision on these circuits. -----I wouldnt run want2 run 2DS off it but would allow light use such as boiler pumps - even shower pumps now. Must insert here that theres usually a better (may not be quicker )way than 'tapping' into a dedicated circuit most of the time. If no ring main in loft id run from 1st floor a cable/s into loft along a safe zone - a spur off a socket in a bedroom maybe.... -

Reply to Sockets in Loft in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock