Discuss Sockets Keeping Tripping Help... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Chezza

-
Reaction score
Hello, and thank you for reading.
I am having a problem with my sockets in my house both upstairs and downstairs.

It started with the hoover, it was tripping out in various sockets intermittently. We thought it was the hoover so bought a new one just in case. However it stopped tripping out so carried on using it.

Subsequently my washer (3 years old) not integrated just stand alone also keeps tripping out at various stages of the wash.... so we tried the plus above it on the counter top - same tripped out. We've also tried running an extension lead into the living room and it also cuts the electricity out. So its not the socket. We thought it might be the machine, until we plugged it into a socket near the phone line and it worked (hubby reckons this socket is linked to something else).

Yesterday my steam generator iron tripped the electric in a socket upstairs...had to use the travel iron for school clothes! cant use the steam iron because it will trip the electric in any socket in the house bar the front room one the washer went in.

This afternoon, my soup maker tripped the electrics. Its a Morphy Richards one like a kettle....works the same way then blends loudly.

However...…
My fridge, Fridge freezer, kettle, toaster, microwave, electric oven, computer and printer seem fine, as does my central heating pump timer.

I'm at a loss as to what it could be....its not a particular socket, or a particular item....

On my electric box, its the socket switch that keeps going down, however my house lights also go off but the switch for them stays up.

Can anyone help me? offer advice? been in a similar situation?
thanks in advance....

Hello, and thank you for reading.
I am having a problem with my sockets in my house both upstairs and downstairs.

It started with the hoover, it was tripping out in various sockets intermittently. We thought it was the hoover so bought a new one just in case. However it stopped tripping out so carried on using it.

Subsequently my washer (3 years old) not integrated just stand alone also keeps tripping out at various stages of the wash.... so we tried the plus above it on the counter top - same tripped out. We've also tried running an extension lead into the living room and it also cuts the electricity out. So its not the socket. We thought it might be the machine, until we plugged it into a socket near the phone line and it worked (hubby reckons this socket is linked to something else).

Yesterday my steam generator iron tripped the electric in a socket upstairs...had to use the travel iron for school clothes! cant use the steam iron because it will trip the electric in any socket in the house bar the front room one the washer went in.

This afternoon, my soup maker tripped the electrics. Its a Morphy Richards one like a kettle....works the same way then blends loudly.

However...…
My fridge, Fridge freezer, kettle, toaster, microwave, electric oven, computer and printer seem fine, as does my central heating pump timer.

I'm at a loss as to what it could be....its not a particular socket, or a particular item....

On my electric box, its the socket switch that keeps going down, however my house lights also go off but the switch for them stays up.

Can anyone help me? offer advice? been in a similar situation?
thanks in advance....
Chezza, It sounds as thought your electrical installation need s a throughout check over, an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition repor) is required.
Changinging equipment just to try and rectify the problem is the wrong way to go, get your electrical system checked over, any problems should be highlighted by the Electrician you employ, highlighted in an EICR certificate / Report provided by him/Her.

Chezza, It sounds as thought your electrical installation need s a throughout check over, an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition repor) is required.
Changinging equipment just to try and rectify the problem is the wrong way to go, get your electrical system checked over, any problems should be highlighted by the Electrician you employ, highlighted in an EICR certificate / Report provided by him/Her.

An EICR is not going to help, it will at best tell the OP what they already know, there is a fault which needs to be investigated.

What the OP needs is a competent electrician to investigate and rectify the fault.

Who ever disagreed can you clarify your reason for disagreeing please?

I am not sure what an EICR would achieve, although it may be due to have one. The O.P. stated there is some sort of fault the employment of a competent electrician with the correct test equipment should be able to find the fault if it is the fixed wiring. Have you tried to unplug and switch off appliances and see if it still trips. As been posted a photo of the consumer unit indicating what trips off would be helpful.

I am not sure what an EICR would achieve, although it may be due to have one. The O.P. stated there is some sort of fault the employment of a competent electrician with the correct test equipment should be able to find the fault if it is the fixed wiring. Have you tried to unplug and switch off appliances and see if it still trips. As been posted a photo of the consumer unit indicating what trips off would be helpful.
Well an EICR clarify the condition of the OP's installation, nullifying the need for changing bits here and there, or do you disagree with that as well?

Well an EICR clarify the condition of the OP's installation, nullifying the need for changing bits here and there, or do you disagree with that as well?

The 'disagree ' was davesparks.

Hi guys, it’s dark but we are investigating. We are turning everything off and using torch lights. Kids gone to my mums. So far it’s nothing downstairs tripping.

Off upstairs now. Some stuff is always on standby and hard to reach lol....

Will post an update. Thanks for the replies

Sorry Ant with the quick reply I assumed it was you who disagree how wrong was I? sorry Mate.

I'm not sure where I said about agreeing or disagreeing about changing bits? I thought that the OP would want an electrician to find the fault or reason for the protective device (MCB,RCBO or RCD not specified) tripping out. An EICR is only that a report and involves more than identifying there is a fault. Depending upon the initial fault finding an electrician may recommend an EICR.

Reply to Sockets Keeping Tripping Help... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net