Discuss sockets near a gas hob in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

ronbrown

Hi all, hope all are well. Went to a job today and noticed that they had a socket less than 300mm away from the edge of the hob, I would say more like 150-100mm away. Told them that this wasnt correct and should be moved but obviously they didnt want this as would mess the kitchen up. They said they were told by the person who fitted the kitchen that it would be fine in that position as long as nothing was plugged into it whilst the hob was being used, what are peoples thoughts on this? would it matter if nothing was plugged in whilst it was on or would this affect the wiring behind the faceplate?

the 300mm is a recommendation, not an actual reg. as long as it doesn't get damaged by heat, i'd leave it.

Yes its the niccy and the like that stipulate this but they're more concerned with distance from sink units.

I suppose when you fill in the minor works cert for the loft light you could make mention that in your opinion the socket is too close to the kitchen hob and leave it there. The client can then argue the ---- with the kitchen fitter.

I suppose when you fill in the minor works cert for the loft light you could make mention that in your opinion the socket is too close to the kitchen hob and leave it there. The client can then argue the ---- with the kitchen fitter.
Indeed, a very good comment for the comments found on existing installation, departures on existing installation.

Especially if the kitchen fitter has done them himself.

good book to read is the electricians guide to the building regs which explains dimensions on hobs, sinks etc costs about 17.00 quid

Been to a house twice where they have 3 FCU's immediately behind the gas hob on the wall/tiles. Each time an FCU isn't working cos it has melted! Owner has me replace them despite my comments regarding safety. He's a vicar, guess he thinks god will intervene!

Hi all, hope all are well. Went to a job today and noticed that they had a socket less than 300mm away from the edge of the hob, I would say more like 150-100mm away. Told them that this wasnt correct and should be moved but obviously they didnt want this as would mess the kitchen up. They said they were told by the person who fitted the kitchen that it would be fine in that position as long as nothing was plugged into it whilst the hob was being used, what are peoples thoughts on this? would it matter if nothing was plugged in whilst it was on or would this affect the wiring behind the faceplate?
i believe it is to edge of nearest burner not edge of hob

Replace your vicar's ones with metal ones, they shouldn't melt so easily! :D

Reply to sockets near a gas hob in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock